Neopixel Dot Strand 2" - Wearable Project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel Dot Strand 2" - Wearable Project

by Zohm on Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 pm

I am working on a wearable project that uses the Adafruit NeoPixel LED Dots Strand - 20 LEDs at 2" Pitch. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3630. I am relatively new to programming and am trying to determine the right parameters for writing the code. Are these WS2812B, WS2812, or something else? I don't see any technical data sheet online. I will be driving one project with a CircuitPlayground Express and one with a Version 3 Flora.

1. When defining the strip, is this right?
- Adafruit_Neopixel strip = Adafruit_Neopixel (STRIPSIZE, PIN, NEO_RGBW + NEO_KHZ800);

2. When coding, do you need to give the "W" a value? Basically, is there a different result between these two pieces of code?
colorWipe (strip.COLOR(255, 48, 48, 0), 50);
colorWipe (strip.COLOR(255, 48, 48), 50);

Thanks.

Zohm

Re: Neopixel Dot Strand 2" - Wearable Project

by caitlinsdad on Thu May 24, 2018 4:42 pm

There is the Neopixel uberguide that explains it all... https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... -neopixels

Those Dots strand seem to be "RGBW neopixels" with the 3 wire connections. You should code in the fourth parameter as a matter of good practice. The RGBW values are all converted to one 32 bit number to set the color so somewhere the colors along the spectrum displayed will not be what you expected when the missing W value or placeholder is not coded.

The power reference on the product page links to a Dotstar guide which may lead to confusion as they are wired and controlled a bit differently. Depending on what was manufactured, neopixels can also be SK6812 chips.

And, if you are using Circuit Python with your Circuit Playground Express board, the pin name will be "board.A1" or "board.xx" you are using. It's not the plain pin number that you use in Arduino like on a Flora. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

Re: Neopixel Dot Strand 2" - Wearable Project

by Zohm on Sat May 26, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks for the help. I think you are right that the link they have to Dotstar isn't relevant to the Dot Strand Product.

Zohm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.