Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Neopixel LED Dots Strand-- not working fully
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel LED Dots Strand-- not working fully

by loaf_o_toast99 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Yesterday, I was building a circuit for a jacket, and I got it to work. It was a little touchy, but worked.
One of the elements I soldered came undone, so I needed to re-attach it today. When I did that, the the strip only lit up the first neopixel. It does work with the code I had developed for it, but only on the first neopixel.

Is there a problem with the strip, battery, or something else?

Please help!

loaf_o_toast99

Re: Neopixel LED Dots Strand-- not working fully

by dastels on Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm

Seeing as it worked before it came undone and got reattached, I'd start there. What exactly happened?

Dave

dastels

by loaf_o_toast99 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:42 pm

dastels wrote:Seeing as it worked before it came undone and got reattached, I'd start there. What exactly happened?

Dave

The part that I had to reattach was in the circuit itself rather than the light strand. It was one of the connections to the power booster and came off because the solder used isn't the best quality.

I have no idea what could have happened that would have caused the lights to stop working unless something was wrong with them.
Even when it was working, it wasn't super reliable and only worked every 3-4 times I tried closing the circuit with the switch I am using (metal snaps). If it is working properly, it probably shouldn't only work 30% of the time.

loaf_o_toast99

by dastels on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:13 am

Since this is wearable (and subject to movement) my thgought is that you have some sketchy connections. Examine all your soldering and redo any that look less than ideal. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering for pointers.

What do you have for solder & soldering iron?

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.