Gemma owl project and conductive thread

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bluebey

Gemma owl project and conductive thread

Post by Bluebey »

Hello Adafruit
I have the Gemma v2 and would like to make an adaptation of the owl project replacing the tilt switch with a soft squeeze switch. In the tutorial hook up wire is used however I want to do the whole circuit with conductive thread so that when the nose is squeezed it chirps. I am making a feature of having the circuit stitched like BANNED. Can I use conductive thread for the whole circuit?

Thank you very much

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Gemma owl project and conductive thread

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It would be difficult to do with conductive thread, since conductive thread is not solderable. The Gemma is designed to accommodate knotted thread connections as well as soldered connections. The other components just have wire leads or (in the case of the speaker) solder lugs. You can bend the wire leads into a loop to facilitate a knotted connection. But the wire diameter is pretty small, so it will be difficult to make the knots tight enough to be reliable.

Bluebey

Post by Bluebey »

Hello

That is great .... I was thinking of bending the wire on the tilt switch like you do on a pronged LED when you bend them over to create a loop to stitch with conductive thread. So from what you have said, am I correct in understanding that it is not that conductive thread is not compatible to deal with the current from the battery and the gemma board, but that it is whether I can create bent loops in the wire on the tilt switch and get a good connection on the lugs on the speaker using the conductive thread.

Thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is correct. The electrical current levels in that project are relatively low, so the conductivity of the thread itself will not be an issue.

As long as you can create good connections between the thread and the components, it should work fine for that project.

Bluebey

Post by Bluebey »

Hi
That is super. Thank you. I will let you know if it works. Chirp chirpy chirp!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”