Led Shirt

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Thomasde_groot

Led Shirt

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Hi,

I have a question, Im very new in this so i really don't know anything about it..

Im going to a multiple concerts next year, so i want to make a led shirt! Two years ago i made an Led shirt but that was the 1.0 version just with multi color led strips and a controller, And the ”screen” in the middle is what i want to add

(See picture/file)

My idea was to add the led panel in the middle of my chest/shirt. And connect them with the other led strips so i can control them all at ones. (maybe with my iphone or just an controller) And maybe little animations just like the “original one” in the links. So i can choose just all color or choose an animation in the middle.

So my questions are.. How do i even begin? What do i need to buy? And is it possible to power it all with a power bank? Cause i can’t take lithium batteries on a plane..

All the cables and things have to be small(ish) cause im wearing it to concerts, i have to dance with it and it has to be allowed on the plane (checked in baggage) So if the animation thing is too complicated or big i’ll skip it. I think i want two led panels and put them underneath each other cause one is really smal.

I’m making a whole new shirt cause i want a zipper on the back from top to bottom thats easier.. i think i’m making the led on the inside of the shirt or the outside but then with another shirt over it. Its really in the early stages cause i don’t have the shirt or anything yet i’m just preparing haha

Sorry for my bad english..

Example how i kind of want it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaM_9qSCnkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHssAnfyuRw&t=5m2s

I was thinking to buy this:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2736
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2240

Kind Regards,
Thomas de Groot
The Netherlands
Attachments
Klein.jpg
Klein.jpg (988.29 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Thomasde_groot

Re: Led Shirt

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Oke so i did a little bit of research and i think i need:
-Flexible 16x16 NeoPixel RGB LED Matrix (2x)
-Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - White 60 LED (don't know how many meters yet)
-Adafruit Feather nRF52 Bluefruit LE
-A powerbank
-Wiring

But what else do i need?

I really hope someone can help me out a little bit

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

-A powerbank
With that many pixels, I'd skip the powerbank and power everything direct from a 3.7v LiPo.

You should probably start by reading through this guide on efficiently powering portable neopixel projects.
https://learn.adafruit.com/sipping-power-with-neopixels

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:
-A powerbank
With that many pixels, I'd skip the powerbank and power everything direct from a 3.7v LiPo.

Thanks for replying :)
Yeah i was thinking that but the problem is, those are not allowed on a plane.. so i was thinking of a large powerbank instead, cause i don't know any other batteries that are powerful enough

adafruit_support_bill

PowerBanks are just big LiPo packs with a boost converter. Only you are wasting a bunch of the LiPo energy by boosting it to 5v, only to be regulated back down to 3.3v.

The other option is NiMH batteries. There are no restrictions on flying with those. A 4S NiMH pack puts out 4.8v.

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Ohh thanks :),

And how much mAh do you think i need? I think i need the neopixels to be on for about 3/4 hours..

adafruit_support_bill

Hard to say without more detail on the number of pixels and how you plan to run them. Assuming you will end up with around 700 pixels total, the 'worst-case' estimate would be 42 Amps with all pixels on at full brightness. That would require 126 Ah (126000mAh) to run for 3 hours, while putting out about 200 watts of heat. - not a very realistic scenario.

Running with fewer LEDs illuminated and overall lower brightness, you should be able to get by with considerably less power. See this guide for some tips on how to use your battery power efficiently.
https://learn.adafruit.com/sipping-powe ... s/overview

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Thanks!

Yeah i think i'll use them at half of the brightness maybe even less than that.
Do you think it should work if i have a battery/powerbank/something with 20000mAh?

And is there anything else i need to look out for such as max Ampere or Volt?

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Or 13000/15000 mAh?

adafruit_support_bill

A battery pack that size should work. Run-time will depend on how you program them.

From our experience, Neopixels will work with anything in the 3.7v to 5v range. Don't go over 5v or you will risk damaging the pixels.

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

Alright thanks so much!!

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

This may sound dumb but if i use the 'Adafruit Feather nRF52 Bluefruit LE' to control and choose color/animations from my phone do i still need an 'Arduino uno/mega'? If so, what do i need it for?

adafruit_support_bill

You should be able to drive the pixels directly from the Feather. An Uno would not have enough memory for that many pixels.

Thomasde_groot

Post by Thomasde_groot »

I'm going to order the 6600mah battery (when its back in stock) but how can i recharge it? Cause im seeing a lot of different products.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”