Soldering

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CIMIJ005

Soldering

Post by CIMIJ005 »

Hello-

I created a project with sew-able neopixels and I am noticing some connections are looser than others resulting in questionable connections. My question is: can I add a tiny bit of solder to the connections? Or will the heat melt the 3ply conductive thread?

Thanks for the help!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Soldering

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The problem is that the solder will not flow onto the stainless filaments in the thread, so the electrical connection will not be good.

I've had some success using copper 'crimp beads'. If you crimp the copper bead to the thread, you can then solder the bead to make a connection.

crimp-beads and crimping pliers can be found in the beading section of most craft stores.

CIMIJ005

Post by CIMIJ005 »

Thank you for the advice. I fear that my thread is sewn too tightly to get a bead around it, Any other suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The other technique I've been experimenting with on the Flora is using nylon snap-rivets in the holes to wedge the thread against the edge of the hole. The holes in the pixels are a little smaller, but something like a toothpick might work there. Push it in until it is snug, then trim off the end.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”