Help with Tiara Project

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: Help with Tiara Project

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Then I think all that can be done is trying to visually inspect things. The NeoPixels have a common power (+) and ground (-) pin that they all share. For any given pixel, if either of these is not good, then the pixel is not getting power. The data is past down the pixels through the pins labeled with the arrows. At any point where there is an issue, the data will be prevented from getting any further down the line, sot he remaining pixel will also not light up, even if powered. Since you are only getting the first pixel to light up, the first place to start looking is somewhere around the second pixel. Make sure its power pins are good (the + and -) as well as the connection on the data line between the first and second pixel. In your photo, it doesn't look too bad. However, it's a little difficult to see all the detail of the soldering at all the connection points.

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

now sir what should i do,,to check continuity or anything else..??..!!

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

now sir what should I do to check continuity or anything else and how to do please tell me,i've got multimeter.

adafruit_support_carter

Cool. A multimeter will help. Have you used a multimeter before? If not, post a photo of the one you have so I can make sure it has the right settings.

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

DSC_0840.JPG
DSC_0840.JPG (986.73 KiB) Viewed 265 times

adafruit_support_carter

Do the following with power disconnected from the tiara.

First, move the red and black cables on the multimeter to the locations shown below:
meter.jpg
meter.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Then, set the multimeter knob to the B location (this is for testing continuity). Now, using this image:
continuity_gnd.jpg
continuity_gnd.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 261 times
touch and hold the multimeter's black test lead to the location labeled "G". While doing that, touch the multimeter's red test lead to location G1. You should hear a "beep" which indicates that continuity is good. Keep the black lead where it is and now touch the red lead to G2 and see if you get a "beep". Do the same thing with the red lead to all the same points on all the NeoPixels - G2, G3, G4, etc.

That's just the first test, but try that and let me know what happens before we move on to the next test.

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

yeah sir I have checked continuity of that and also done the same from vout of the gemma v2 to all the pixel's + but continuity isn't coming for the second pixel from the controller,for the rest of the pixels it is ok.

adafruit_support_carter

Sounds like the second pixel isn't getting power. Without power, the data will not be passed on to the other pixels, so they won't light even if they are getting power.

See if you can figure out where the connection issue is for the + on the second pixel and try and fix it.

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

alright sir,and i have also another pixel to replace so should i replace or just a proper soldering will help.

adafruit_support_carter

The issues with continuity should be fixed with soldering and possibly other wiring fixes.

If you get continuity on all the pins and the pixel still does not work, the next thing to test would be voltages on the power pin. Use knob position A on your multimeter for this.

If you get good continuity / voltage and the pixel still does not work, replacing it may be the solution.

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

now all the pixels are working as per the code but only when i connect the controller with usbtiny,with battery it's not.what could be problem

adafruit_support_carter

now all the pixels are working as per the code but only when i connect the controller with usbtiny
Yeah! So it sounds like all the electrical connections are good.
,with battery it's not.what could be problem
What are you using for a battery? Also, what sketch are you running at this point?

POONAMPIPALIYA

Post by POONAMPIPALIYA »

whenever I want to wear it when m away from computer how can i power it on..??..!!

adafruit_support_carter

You would use a battery:
https://learn.adafruit.com/neopixel-tiara/wear-it

What kind of battery are you trying to use?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”