Help Creating Vibrating Collar for Deaf Blind Puppy

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
seatec

Help Creating Vibrating Collar for Deaf Blind Puppy

Post by seatec »

Hello everyone! I will start by saying I am not an engineer and def do not know all the proper terminology to use, but after hours of searching for a solution for my puppy, found this forum and you all look like you can point me in the right direction quickly. I need help with a deaf and blind puppy to help him have a fulfilling life.

Here is his story and what I am looking for. As of writing this, Brewer is 4 weeks old. We realized he might have sight problems about a week ago. becaus puppy eeysight and hearing develops slowly from 2-8 weeks, it is hard to detect, but because we really work with our pups to get them ready for service training, w noticed it. He is still highly inttellignt, and even finds his way to the potty area, even at 4 weeks. His senses are still developing and you can tell he is learning to use smell a little quicker than his siblings. As fa as we can tell, he can tell light and dark, bit that is it, and seems to have no hearing, but can "feel" some sound.

Because of not havin either of the two senses, hearing or sight, he wil need special training, and there is not much out there for both deaf and blind dogs that are this wy from birth. It is rare for it to even be detected this early, so we have a chance to really help him and do something special to possibly help other special need dogs as well, so that they are not cast aside, euthanized, or left to live in a dark, silent world with no love or fullfillment.

what I am trying to do is to build a simple little device that I can put on his collar or harness, that we can control remotely or via blue tooth, so we can start teaching him typical commands using different vibration pattterns or intensities. I do not want the typicall vibration collars that are out there, as they are more for punishment or correction, and do not have the flexibility we need to help Brewer. We want the vibrations for communication, not to hurt or punish him.

Can someone tell me the best way and what components and tools if needed, i wil need to do this? If someone can build it for me at an affordable cost, I'd be happy to pay for it to be done as well. I just don't know how much it will be and we are not wealthy, just trying to help this guy and future pups that may have a disability and special needs. Time is critical because he is in critical training and development stages right now. I want him to get use to the vibrations before he gets older and starts going through fear stages. If he learns now, he will never have to be scared or stressed from it. The ideal thing will be bluetooth controlled and programmable patterns and intensities so we can start teaching him asap. Howerve, any remote system that we can pre program the commands wil work just to get him started for now.

If anyone can tell me how to build this for him, or give any feedback, I really appreciate it and so wil Brewer! He is the tan and white pup in the picture. <3
Attachments
Brewer 4 weeks
Brewer 4 weeks
IMG_9732.JPG (760.41 KiB) Viewed 334 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help Creating Vibrating Collar for Deaf Blind Puppy

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would start with this processor: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2995
It is a nice compact processor and has a bluetooth module built-in - as well as an integral battery charger.
We also have an app for iOS or Android that lets you send commands to the board.

For the vibration, I'd suggest one of these boards
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2305
and motors
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1201

The DRV2605L haptic motor controller has a bunch of built-in vibration patterns. And you can string them together to create more complex patterns.

kcl1s

Post by kcl1s »

Bill gave you a great start on products to make this work. If you have not programmed microcontrollers before you may want to find some local help. Look for a maker space in your area. The local library may have one or be able to help you find one. The maker space will also help you design a 3D printed enclosure for the project as well.

Please let us know how the project works out.

Fellow Hobbyist
Keith

seatec

Post by seatec »

Thank you! And thanks for helping with terminology! I have been trying to find someone local but do not think I was using the right terminology. I'm not in a small town, so hopefully I can find a group or individual. Would a hobby shop be a good lead source?

adafruit_support_bill

Folks from local hobby shops, hardware stores, artists guilds etc. may be aware of local makerspaces/hackerspaces.

You can also take a look at our hackerspace map here: https://www.adafruit.com/distributors/
It is not an exhaustive list, but you may find something close to home there.

seatec

Post by seatec »

Thank you. I found a Fb group in Tampa, which is about 45 minutes away. I waiting to get accepted and then will try to find someone or place that can help. I just need to know about how many of the vibrating motors listed I will need so I can order. Wish me luck. I am excited to get something made and start training this guy. I start training with them typically at 5 weeks, so they are ready for their new homes and service training. I am hoping to start his right along side theirs next week, but with vibration communication.

Thanks for your help and if there is anymore tips or suggestions, please let me know.

adafruit_support_bill

The DRV2605 driver can create a variety of effects such as short pulses, long pulses, ramp-up , ramp down in addition to just plain buzzing. See page 55 of the data sheet for the compete list: https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/DRV2605.pdf

The effectiveness of the various patterns depends a bit on the natural resonant frequencies of the motor and what it is attached to. But you should be able to find a set that Brewer will be able to distinguish from one another. Having two motors - one on either side of the collar might be a good way to add some directional information to the commands. Much more than two or three motors would probably only add confusion.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Best of success to you, and I'd recommend being aware of Becky Stern's safety considerations for animal wearables. She created a related project, the Phone-Activated Talking Dog Collar, which may provide some construction ideas.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

seatec

Post by seatec »

Thank you! In my ambition and forward thinking, I was thinking about being able to have a motor on each side of the collar/harness to be able to guide him to go left or right as he gets older and explores more, but I thought that might complicate things, and it would need to be able to be controlled from further distances than Bluetooth. So I thought I'd focus on the short term training to teach him basics like sit, no/stop, down, potty (I just need to associate it with when he currently goes, and he does leave the inside room through a doggie door and go out on paper, so he is really smart), but if I can associate a specific vibration to take the place of the verbal command "potty" then when it is time for him to go all the way outside, we can lead him to the area or let him find an area, then give the specified vibrate command, and he will then know to start going t that area. I have a short window to establish the vibration and touch as his forms of communication and get basics in before his development changes and it is harder to teach this.

Ultimately though, I want the directional ability and longer distance control as I'd like to be able to modify agility equipment so he can still do activities safely as he is going to be a 55-60 pound dog and it would be neat to show that they can have fulfilling lives as well and help other dogs that have the same disabilities be more adoptable and give people a guide to helping them.

I do appreciate all of your help and suggestions. IF you have any suggestions on solving the short term needs which I think bluetooth or wireless will work great for, especially form a smart phone if possible, and balancing it with the long term of being able to let him be further away, let me know, please. I do not have the knowledge and understanding of the capabilities and ranges of Bluetooth and wireless enough to know the best route to go. or how to mix them if that is even feasible. Obviously, the next 2-3 months of training will be close proximately, usually within a couple feet, 10-20 max when he is a little older. Do you think I am safe to order 2 motors, and then the other two components you mentioned? Would the motors on each side work independently or together for directional assistance?

seatec

Post by seatec »

Disciple wrote:Best of success to you, and I'd recommend being aware of Becky Stern's safety considerations for animal wearables. She created a related project, the Phone-Activated Talking Dog Collar, which may provide some construction ideas.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Thanks. The talking dog collar is little bit of the idea as far as controls, but it needs to be different vibration patters and intensities to work for him. And also something that will hold up as he will wear it most of the time. For the short term, with a tight window for getting this develope to be able to train him during his main nuerological development in the next 4 weeks, I am foucsing on a collar and bluetooth unless I ma pointed to better. But long term, I'd rather have a harness with vibrating motors on different points, so that he can be given more directional guidence along with general commands.

adafruit_support_bill

The Bluetooth modules can transmit up to about 35 feet line-of-sight. Indoor range will typically be less due to walls and other interference. We do have radio modules capable of longer range operation, but your smart-phone won't be able to communicate with them directly.

For the motors, you will need one DRV2605 driver for each motor. Connecting one DRV2605 to the Feather processor is pretty straightforward. Connecting the second is a bit more advanced. Bt you would be able to control the two motors independently.

Another - possibly better option would be the DRV8833. This is a general-purpose motor driver, so it doesn't have the built-in vibration patterns - just on/off and speed control. But it is simpler to hook up and you can drive two motors independently with the same board. It would also be less expensive. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3297

kcl1s

Post by kcl1s »

You may want to check out AT Makers and Bill Binko. http://atmakers.org/ . I believe they are based in the Tampa area. While they deal with assistive tech for people he may be a good resource for your project.

Keith

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”