Simple haptic feedback device

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dayofthedave

Simple haptic feedback device

Post by dayofthedave »

Pardon my ignorance, I am totally new to all of this!

I would like to make a wearable haptic feedback device that causes vibration when a membrane button is pressed. It should also include a component that stops the vibration after a few seconds if the button remains pressed.

It looks like I could do the first part by wiring up a vibrating mini motor, a membrane LED keypad and a coin cell battery holder, but I have no idea how the second part might be done.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Simple haptic feedback device

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You could use something like this for the timing: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3435

dayofthedave

Post by dayofthedave »

Thanks! Is the TPL5110 something that can be used on its own along with the other components, or is there more to it?

I was also looking into this mosfet timer circuit idea, which I don't fully understand, but it sounds like I could also use a capacitor, mosfet and resistor to make the timeout work. I asked the author if the circuit could be used for my device, and he replied with this:
You can use the first diagram. Replace the switch with a 100uF capacitor or any value which suits the delay requirement. Now when you switch ON power through a pressed push button the mosfet will conduct for sometime and then switch OFF. Make sure to add a 10K resistor across the circuit +/- supply lines so that the capacitor is able to discharge when switch is released.
Assuming this mosfet timer idea is feasible, would it be a better or worse option than the TPL5110 to use for a wearable device?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The TPL5110 will function as a timer on its own. It has a MOSFET output that can drive your haptic motor.

Building a timer out of discrete components should also work. It would probably end up being a bit bulkier and probably more fragile than the TPL5110 board. That can be a disadvantage for wearable applications.

dayofthedave

Post by dayofthedave »

Thanks for the clarification!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”