Flora Bluefruit and Gemma Board

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
HellaKOE

Flora Bluefruit and Gemma Board

Post by HellaKOE »

Hello,
I use the ATTiny85 and the Adafruit Gemma board as microcontrollers. Hereby I read data from a sensor. Now I want to send this data to my mobile phone with Bluetooth Low Energy. As a Bluetooth module I would like to use the Flora Bluefruit module. Unfortunately, this does not work as easy as I imagined, because the Flora does not support SoftwareSerial, right? The Gemma board has no fixed TX and RX connections. Is there still a possibility that I can connect the ATTiny or the Gemma board with the FLora?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Flora Bluefruit and Gemma Board

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The ATtiny85 can do SoftwareSerial. We use it to communicate with a BLE module in this project:

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-neopixel-goggles

HellaKOE

Post by HellaKOE »

Hello, yes but the flora Bluefruit can't do Software Serial, right?

HellaKOE

Post by HellaKOE »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81788
here it reads i should connect the rx, tx and cts pin but the flora has no free pin for cts. Or am i wrong?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Bluefruit module doesn't know anything about SoftwareSerial one way or another. It only knows signals come in on its RX pin and go out on its TX pin.

The CTS signal is optional. You can use it for hardware flow control if you have a lot of data to transmit, but you can get the same effect (if you need it) by controlling how often you send data in software.

HellaKOE

Post by HellaKOE »

Thanks for your quick answer. This sounds logic.
But sorry that i have to ask again: Why does it reads "Most importantly, the flora bluefruit is for use with Hardware Serial only and does not have flow control pins." and "Next, remove the code for the SoftwareSerial type, find these lines and delete them:" in the data sheet of the Bluefruit flora at "Example Code and Configuration"? Do i understand these lines wrong?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yah - the flora version is only for use with hardware serial devices. We recommend using a Gemma M0, not the attiny85, which is going to be nearly impossible to use.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”