Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Converting from lipo to wall wart
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Converting from lipo to wall wart

by SamLH on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm trying to figure out a way to convert a Gemma (older version) project from lipo battery powered to a wall wart. This is a wearable project with leds lights (Adafruit sequins) which now is going on display and needs to plug into the wall (so I don't have to go there and keep changing out the batteries). I've found a barrel jack to 2-pin JST cable which I think will fit. The closest voltage wall supply I have found is 3.3 V, 1A from Digikey. Will this work? Or do you have a better solution.
Thanks,
Sam

SamLH

Re: Converting from lipo to wall wart

by caitlinsdad on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Since I got tired of changing the AAA batteries out of the power packs used to run my Gemma or Flora wearables, I have used a standard USB charger wall wart and hooked it up with the USB cable that fits with the USB connector on the board( may be micro or mini USB type for older boards). The board is then powered through USB and I have a lot of those USB phone charger - ipad wall chargers laying around. Those portable phone charger battery packs work well too, some may need to sense a device to keep running on some of those or they shut down though. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:12 pm

Yep, agree with above. Just a minor change in approach - power via USB instead of battery connector. Since phone charges are so common, coming up with a wall wart for this should be easy. Then just use a USB cable and supply the 5V at the USB connector.

adafruit_support_carter

by SamLH on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Thanks to both of you.

SamLH

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.