Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Multiple NeoPixel strips with Flora?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple NeoPixel strips with Flora?

by khiraji on Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi everyone,

Simple question that I just can't seem to find an answer for: how many separate strands of NeoPixels can a Flora control independently?

Some background: I'm building some NeoPixel sticks and rings into a backpack, and I'm trying to determine how many of these elements I can control individually using a Flora (or some other more appropriate controller...?). From the Flora pin-out diagram, there are 8 pins which are not power or ground, but I cannot find in the documentation anywhere if all 8 of these pins could be used to, for example, control 8 individual NeoPixel sticks separately.

My goal is to be able to have several loops/routines going simultaneously to make unique patterns on, well, as many NeoPixel elements as possible. No one pin will be driving more than about 20 pixels, but it sure would be cool to have 8 arrangements of about 20 pixels that could all be made to display a unique pattern.

I have used D6, D9, D10, and D12 to control 4 NeoPixel elements individually for a previous version of this project, but I do not know if I could use the SCL, SDA, RX, and TX pins to control 4 more NeoPixel elements (for a total of 8).

If the Flora can't do this, is there a microcontroller that can?
Or, am I going about this the wrong way, and the easiest/simplest solution is to address pixels via code and not rely on each pin being a dedicated "pipeline" to a NeoPixel stick or a ring?

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this has been answered before (my search-fu didn't turn up anything conclusive).

khiraji

Re: Multiple NeoPixel strips with Flora?

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:11 pm

Any of the 8 GPIO pins can be used for Neopixels - assuming that they are not used for anything else. For example, if you had any i2c sensors connected, SDA and SCL would be off-limits.

It is also possible to daisy-chain multiple sticks (rings, strips, etc. ) as a single strip and manage the subsets of pixels in your code.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Multiple NeoPixel strips with Flora?

by khiraji on Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:21 pm

Perfect, thanks for the info!

khiraji

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.