Adafruit Conductive Yarn question

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lysdexic

Adafruit Conductive Yarn question

Post by lysdexic »

Hi folks,

I'm interested in creating some crotcheted potentiometers which seem to require "resistive yarn". The resistive yarns I've been looking for all seem to be a steel/polyurethane blend (60-80% polyurethane)

I'm wondering if this product you stock is suitable? Thanks!

https://www.adafruit.com/product/603#technical-details

oesterle

Re: Adafruit Conductive Yarn question

Post by oesterle »

Hi, lysdexic!

While Adafruit Stainless Thin Conductive Yarn / Thick Conductive Thread - 30 ft would be good to have on hand as a substitute for conductive wiring, I'd bet you'd have more luck making a textile potentiometer using a yarn with more resistance.

Mika Satomi and Hannah Perner-Wilson of the KOBAKANT art collective have explored these extensively, and discuss them in the Conductive Materials section of their site, with links to vendors.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Cheers,

Eric

lysdexic

Post by lysdexic »

Thanks Eric! Yes the work on Mika Satomi and Hannah Perner-Wilson's site there is a big inspiration for this work - however many of the textile manufacturers they list no longer produce or stock this "resistive yarn" sadly!

So I wonder, could I say purchase some of the Adafruit yarn mentioned above and mix it somehow with some polyester yarn to achieve a similar effect?

oesterle

Post by oesterle »

I would consider making your own yarn from finer stainless steel fibers, like Adafruit's Conductive Fiber - Stainless Steel 20um - 10 grams, together with the non-conductive fiber of your choice. I found this guide on spinning acrylic yarn: Adventures in Spinning ACRYLIC yarn — Part 1: Unplying.

You'll also find readymade conductive yarns on sites like Etsy and AliExpress, though quality and consistency will vary compared to Adafruit products.

What are you making?

Cheers,

Eric

lysdexic

Post by lysdexic »

Thanks for that link! That's really helpful, I'm not very skilled with working with textiles so resources for spinning yarn is mega useful.

I'm just interested in exploring creating wearable interfaces using textiles for a change instead of wires and pots!

Really appreciate the help :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”