Having problems with LiPo Batteries
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Having problems with LiPo Batteries

by doym on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi

I ordered a few LiPo batteries recently, and the JST wires became detached from the battery. I am not abusing these or tugging on them.
1. Can I get a replacement (ORDER #2293418-7804637919)? See attached photo--both connections detached at the same time.
2. Is there something I can do to strengthen the wire connections to these types of batteries? I'm really not pulling on these connections and I store them carefully--I always detach the battery by gently pulling at the JST connector, and I really make sure not to jiggle the wires where they connect to the battery itself. They just seem really fragile--this is the second time this has happened.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0318.jpg
Broken battery
IMG_0318.jpg (638.15 KiB) Viewed 209 times

doym

Re: Having problems with LiPo Batteries

by doym on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:34 am

Help?

doym

by mikeysklar on Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi doym,

When did you place this order?

mikeysklar

by michaelmeissner on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:26 am

Over the years, I've had this trouble. I seem to be incapable of not holding the battery by the wires, and eventually the solder comes off. If you are real careful, you might be able to resolder the connection, but you have to make sure the two parts never touch.

A few years ago, I made a strain relief with hook & loop fabric (velcro [tm]), and wrapped the cord around two strips so that in theory if you hold the battery by the wire, the strain goes to the hook & loop, and not to the battery. But eventually that too pulled out.

I'm thinking now of making a holder for the battery and attaching the wires to a small bit for prototype board that is glued to the holder, and attaching the JST cable on the other side.

I'm also thinking of just removing the JST cable, and using the standard dupont male or female headers. And then making a JST cable to dupont for the times when I'm using a device with the JST header (such as feather boards). In particular, if you have a JST header with two pins that you solder into a prototype board, the act of inserting and removing the cable can loosen the solder pins. If the board is designed with the JST header, it is much sturdier to insert/remove a JST cable.

michaelmeissner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.