Shoelace Eyelets as Mounting Holes
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Shoelace Eyelets as Mounting Holes

by Mochi_Stryper on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:16 am

When I look at shoelace eyelets, I find myself wondering how to utilize them as mounting posts for wearables and I think that there may be some pros and cons to this methodology. Eyelets are durable, numerous, and functionally flexible. While I believe developing wearable standoffs may be beneficial in terms of accessibility, ease of removal, and for the sake of experimentation, I find myself concerned about the ergonomics and scalability of developing such a product. I'm also concerned that a silicone rivet or bolt that fits the bill may already exist.
Has anyone developed a surefire methodology for implementing shoelace eyelets as standoffs? Is there a standard size of metal eyelet in the world of sneakers?
Thanks for your time!

Mochi_Stryper

Re: Shoelace Eyelets as Mounting Holes

by michaelmeissner on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm

I haven't used them, but there are now "tie-less shoe laces". Depending on the thickness of the laces, I could imaging threading them through the mount holes in the Trinket M0 or in two unused pins in the Gemma M0. You will need to add a battery of some sort.

The Adafruit Clue might be a useful gadget as it includes various sensors and a display.

It would be nice if we could get a combined gadget, that is Trinket or Gemma sized, but includes a battery with built-in charging, but is in a small form factor.

One thing you have to watch out for is motion breaking solder connections or causing kinks in the wires. I incorporate microprocessors in costumes (mostly for neopixel LEDs), and I seem to always re-soldering the connections after the device was used for some time. In fact I was just moving a project with a Featherwing INA219 for power monitoring, and one of my wires snapped.

michaelmeissner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.