Monster M4sk Broken Reset Button
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Monster M4sk Broken Reset Button

by itstvraptor on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Hello there,

I purchased these eyes from a third party who programmed them for me. They worked fine for a while. However, I've gotten a blinking red light on the back of the eyes and they will no longer turn on. I tested a different battery and they still did not work so I figure its an issue with the software. I plugged the eyes into my laptop and looked at the files, and it appears the file used for the eye graphics is totally corrupted. Its just a huge string of jumbled characters thousands of lines long.

I downloaded the files for the preset eye graphics. The guide says I need to press the reset button to put them into effect, but unfortunately the actual reset button on the board broke off a few days ago and I'm not able to physically press it. I'm unsure if there's an alternate way to press it, or if there's a way I could manually reset it with pressing a physical button. Any clues?

*** The person I purchased the eyes from is not assisting me. Apparently they are a scammer and have not been answering any of the customers who've been trying to get in contact. So I'm trying to figure it out myself, I have no programming or technical experience whatsoever. ***
Attachments
Photo on 10-13-20 at 10.15 AM.jpg
image showing red light and missing reset button
Photo on 10-13-20 at 10.15 AM.jpg (94.7 KiB) Viewed 168 times

itstvraptor

Re: Monster M4sk Broken Reset Button

by dastels on Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 pm

For the reset you should be able to short the two connections on the reset button (well, the output where the button would go) farthest away from the esdge of the board (the other two are just to mount the button).

Which "eye graphics" file? The .eye file? Or the .bmp files? The former should be readable text (in JSON format), while the later are bitmap files and will look exactly like you describe.

That's a drag about the person you got it from. Be sure to read the tutorial at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-monster-m4sk-eyes/ carefully and thoroughly.

Here or on the Adafruit Discord are good places to get help.

Dave

dastels

by itstvraptor on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm

dastels wrote:For the reset you should be able to short the two connections on the reset button (well, the output where the button would go) farthest away from the esdge of the board (the other two are just to mount the button).

Which "eye graphics" file? The .eye file? Or the .bmp files? The former should be readable text (in JSON format), while the later are bitmap files and will look exactly like you describe.

That's a drag about the person you got it from. Be sure to read the tutorial at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-monster-m4sk-eyes/ carefully and thoroughly.

Here or on the Adafruit Discord are good places to get help.

Dave

Hi there, I was able to short the reset button. I also followed the steps here https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... quickstart to create the SPI Flash Filesystem. However, I keep getting stuck with a screen that reads "code done running. waiting for reload . soft reboot" I have pressed the reset button multiple times, as well as turning it off/on, unplugging, etc. But it doesn't change. On this page it says to update the firmware, but I only currently have the CIRCUITPY drive and not the M4SKBOOT drive. Is this a necessary step or is there something else I'm missing? I currently have the CIRCUITPY drive and it looks like this
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.11.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 12.11.04 PM.png (63.11 KiB) Viewed 141 times

itstvraptor

by dastels on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Now you want to use Arduino to load the eye code.

What you are seeing is exactly what should happen. It's running CircuitPython but there isn't any code to run.

dastels

by itstvraptor on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Ok, I'm getting very close to having these up and running. I finally have the eyes working with one of the basic eye animations... except only one eye is working. The one connected to the USB has the snake_green eye animation running. The other one is blank, but the back of the board is lit up as if its on. The eyes are connected by wires. Any ideas of what might be going on?

itstvraptor

by dastels on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:53 pm

It sounds like there may be a problem with the connection. How do you have the boards connected? A photo may help.

Dave

dastels

by itstvraptor on Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 am

This is the type of connection! I've tried to unplug / replug the connections to both eyes, but no luck.
Attachments
20201026_210928-min.jpg
20201026_210928-min.jpg (462.44 KiB) Viewed 126 times

itstvraptor

by dastels on Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 am

Does the soldering on the interconnect cable sockets look ok? Ideally you could check the connection on each line from board to board. If there is a problem connection, then you could check the cable itself.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.