Monster mask Power

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Heickendorf

Monster mask Power

Post by Heickendorf »

I have just bought a monster mask but can not find any clear instructions on power. Can I just use a battery or my Pi´s USB? Is it possible to use a Raspberry Pi power supply? Hope someone can help.

dastels

Re: Monster mask Power

Post by dastels »

You can power it via USB (your Pi is great for this) or a LiPo battery (which will be charged when the USB is connected). See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-monster-m4sk-eyes for more information on the MonsterM4sk.

Dave

ridpathh

Post by ridpathh »

On the power thing. I have the M4SK to be used in a 3D printed housing. However, there is no space to connect the USB for power. In the same enclosure I have a PI Zero WH that I can connect to power.

Is there a way that I can connect a power lead from the PI0 to the M4SK via one of the other connectors? I have access to the JST connectors.

Any help would be great.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes. You should be able to supply 5v or 3.3v through the sense port.. but it would have to match the voltage jumper. If you do so you won't be able to use a battery. The on/off switch won't have any effect since you'd be attaching power after it. It looks like you could attach USB to reprogram it... power from USB should be effectively disconnected. Note I haven't tried any of this, This is from looking at the schematics and something similar on the PyPortal.

Dave

ridpathh

Post by ridpathh »

dastels wrote:Yes. You should be able to supply 5v or 3.3v through the sense port.. but it would have to match the voltage jumper. If you do so you won't be able to use a battery. The on/off switch won't have any effect since you'd be attaching power after it. It looks like you could attach USB to reprogram it... power from USB should be effectively disconnected. Note I haven't tried any of this, This is from looking at the schematics and something similar on the PyPortal.

Dave

Once it is reprogramed I won't be needing the USB port I do not plan to use a battery. I will take a look at the schematics.
Thanks for your response

ridpathh

Post by ridpathh »

Okay, I was able to make a connection at the Batt JST connection. On the AIY Vision board there are GPIO Extentions. This provides a 5v and GND I am able to plug a jumper from the AIY GPIO Extension to the M4SK Batt.

I know that the typical LIPO bat voltages are 3-4 volts and I am using 5v, but the M4SK works fine with this. From the schematics it looked like there is some regulation of the voltage from the Batt port.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this configuration?

dastels

Post by dastels »

As far as powering the M4SK is concerned that should be fine. The higher of 5v from the USB and Vbat is used, being regulated to 3.3v for the board.

The potential wrinkle I see is that when you plug USB in it does charge a connected LiPo. I'm not sure what'll happen around that. With 5v on the output of the charger (i.e. Vbat) and potential weird interaction with the source of the 5v coming in. However you said you wouldn't be using USB once is connected and running, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to disconnect the external 5v from Vbat BEFORE connecting USB and you should be fine.

Dave

jrraines

Post by jrraines »

I have had the Monster M4SK seem to lose its code a couple of times after running for a long while and multiple restarts, perhaps sometimes powering down before it was fully booted up. I had been able to reload the code each time, sometimes with a little difficulty.

Anyway, It occurred to me that its current draw might be more than or marginal for the USB power supply I'm using--seems like there's a lot of stuff on the board. Is 2 amps plenty or would it possibly be more stable with a more robust supply or adding a LiPO battery just to stabilize the power?

dastels

Post by dastels »

jrraines wrote:I have had the Monster M4SK seem to lose its code a couple of times after running for a long while and multiple restarts, perhaps sometimes powering down before it was fully booted up. I had been able to reload the code each time, sometimes with a little difficulty.

Anyway, It occurred to me that its current draw might be more than or marginal for the USB power supply I'm using--seems like there's a lot of stuff on the board. Is 2 amps plenty or would it possibly be more stable with a more robust supply or adding a LiPO battery just to stabilize the power?
It's best to make a separate thread rather than hijack and muddle another, and also risk simply getting overlooked.

But... 2A should be more than enough.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”