Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

IMU Recommendations
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IMU Recommendations

by sid8580 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:20 am

Hi Adafruit, which IMU (motion tracking) chips do you have your eyes on, to release in the future?

I use the your NXP 9-DOF gyro/accelerometer/magnetometer breakout & library in a wearable controller project I've been working on for 3 years now, but I see NXP has discontinued (or is about to) discontinue those FX series chips. I was happy with their performance, but if NXP is moving on then I don't have a lot of choice but to look elsewhere.

Looking around on my own I've found that InvenSense (TDK) recently put out the ICM-42688-P, which is supposed to have its own onboard sampling rate clock to eliminate the dreaded gyro drift everyone complains about with IMUs (which I have nearly eliminated in my design by using really fast interrupts, but it takes a bite out of my MCU). So that sounds promising. The datasheet makes it look as accurate as the NXP too. Do you guys have eyes on that chip?

Maybe there are other, better options, but either way... what is Adafruit's next "precision-y" IMU breakout offering once the NXP's are gone? I need some fairly top-shelf motion tracking but at the maker level. Thanks for getting me this far :)

sid8580

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.