Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Inflatables
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Inflatables

by purewolf on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Alright, I'm a complete noob so go easy on me. I'm working on my final university piece and I'm planning on making the sleeves inflate. The air supply has to be produced and fed into the sleeves externally, though a small tube (I.e, can't be a fan inside the sleeve, because it's initially relatively skin tight). Doesn't necessarily have to deflate on command, but does have to inflate. I don't even know where to begin with this, the pump needs to be small enough to be concealed, but strong. I bought mini aquarium pump to try out, but it's unable to produce enough air flow. Anyone have any recommendations for the equipment both in and outside of adafruit, or how to do it please?

purewolf

Re: Inflatables

by millercommamatt on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:23 pm

My first thought is to use something like computer fans and some fabric ducting. That's basically how those inflatable holyday characters people put in their yards are built and it's basically the same principle as inflating a sleeve.

millercommamatt

by franklin97355 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Have you thought of CO2 cartridges used in life vests? Fast inflating but one time only. I don't know what you are designing so this is just a thought.

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:12 pm

A small tube is going to have a lot of resistance to air flow. To get a high volume of air through quickly, you need more pressure. The CO2 option suggested by Franklin should work. Search for "inflatable life vests". You could probably borrow the inflation mechanism from one of those.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.