MIDI Drum Glove
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MIDI Drum Glove

by meutbal on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Hi!

I made the MIDI Drum Glove and used 26AWG ribbon wire for the connections, but if I'm not mistaken, the ribbon wire used in the tutorial seems to be thicker.
It's working fine now (apart from, I believe, some faulty piezo's), but I'm looking to expand on the project and make a drum glove pair and was wondering if there is an advantage to using thicker ribbon wire.
I saw the Arduino Micro or Teensy 2.0 being recommended for making a pair, because they have 12 analog input channels. Would you suggest just routing the five cables from one glove as a ribbon to the glove which has the board? Or would it be safer to use an extra cable guide?
Is there a feasible way to use conductive thread instead of piezo's in the fingertips, and get the voltage input into the board capacitively, if that makes sense (total noob, as you've probably figured)?
I'm really excited about this project, as I'm a delivery guy on bike in Antwerp, and I'm trying to develop a way to live-sequence my own samples and sounds while riding (and record it), so this has greatly helped me along in the right direction. Safety first of course!
I'm also thinking about turning the whole plan upside down and making inlay capacitive touch buttons into my handlebar. Make a handlebar midi controller basically.
Any ideas or suggestions about how I could go about this are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Maarten

meutbal

Re: MIDI Drum Glove

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 am

Thinner wire tends to be more flexible. And, since they do not need to carry much current, thinner is probably better for a glove. If routing multiple wires from one glove to another, some sheathing to keep them together is a good idea. If you search for "braided cable sheath" you will find plenty of options.

To build cap-touch pads into your handlebars, you could first wrap the area with some Kapton tape as an insulator, then make your pads from adhesive copper foil.
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=copper+foil&sort=BestMatch

adafruit_support_bill

by meutbal on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a feasible way to include BLE support in the capacitive touch button schematic, in order to control iOS apps wirelessly? I have a couple of those wireless midi adapters (widi master, md-bt01), so adding midi ports could also help me out. Just not sure how to go about it.

meutbal

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 am

There are dozens of ways to go about it depending on which hardware you want to start with.

This project has Cap-touch, BLE and MIDI: https://learn.adafruit.com/bluetooth-le ... r/overview

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.