Cosplay Help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cosplay Help

by Fxguy1 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Hello everyone, new to adafruit and the forums.

I am working on a cosplay project involving NeoPixel Strips as well as a store-bought LED Puck Light. Being new to circuit design I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire this all up. The project is Samus Arm cannon from Metroid Prime. There will be 4 strips of NeoPixels on the outside of the cannon and the LED puck light at the end of the barrel. What I would like is to have a button/switch that when pressed, lights up all the LEDs (and perhaps a "firing" sequence for the NeoPixels) and then turn off. If the button remains pressed then the lights should just remain on.

What I need some input on is:
1) Would I be better to use an Arduino Nano or Pro Trinket? (And why)
2) Is there any advantage to wiring the 4 strips in parallel vs series?
3) Is it even possible to have a sequence run after pressing a momentary pushbutton?

Really appreciate any and all help!

Fxguy1

Re: Cosplay Help

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:58 pm

Fxguy1 wrote:3) Is it even possible to have a sequence run after pressing a momentary pushbutton?

Yeah, that won't be any problem.

Fxguy1 wrote:2) Is there any advantage to wiring the 4 strips in parallel vs series?

If you want all four strips to show the same pattern, connecting them in parallel is a good idea. It will make the code and connections simpler.

As far as the microcontroller is concerned, four strips connected in parallel are functionally identical to a single strip.

Fxguy1 wrote:1) Would I be better to use an Arduino Nano or Pro Trinket? (And why)

The Pro Trinket is semi-deprecated. Its USB interface is tricky enough to use these days that we only suggest it for experienced programmers.

For what you're doing, I'd suggest the Trinket M0 instead:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500

You'll only need a couple of GPIO pins for the application you described, and the microprocessor is more powerful than either the Nano or the Pro Trinket. The biggest advantage is that you can program the Trinket M0 using CircuitPython instead of using C++ in the Arduino IDE.

We have *lots* of cosplay tutorials in the Learning System, most of which include NeoPixels:

https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=cosplay

Many of them are similar to what you want to do, so browse through those to get a general feel for how such projects have been done.

adafruit_support_mike

by Fxguy1 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:52 pm

Thank you for the informative reply!

I'm going to have to look into Circuit Python. I can do either but Python is SO much simpler and easier to use.

I have two follow up questions:
1) I have a puck light LED that has 2 momentary push buttons on it. I've figured out that I can remove both and connect it to a simple pushbutton switch to control, however, it has 3 modes of function when you push the button - On-Full, On-Half, and Off. Is there any way to skip the On-Half (it looks like its controlled by an on board 3IN1BS chip) ?

2) I'm assuming that I connect the momentary pushbutton to the pins of the microcontroller as opposed to interrupting power to the LEDS and then trigging in the code instead of a physical switch, is that correct?

Thanks!

Fxguy1

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 pm

Fxguy1 wrote:Is there any way to skip the On-Half (it looks like its controlled by an on board 3IN1BS chip) ?

I'd doubt it. Devices like that generally use one-time-programmable chips called ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) which don't leave much room for modification.

There may be a way to work around the control chip though. Post a photo showing the hardware and we'll take a look. 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by Fxguy1 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:08 pm

I was able to figure it out and get it working. I had to basically solder a jumper wire where the button was located. Then I can control the on / off by connecting the (+) terminal to a pin on the Trinket and control it that way.

Thanks!

Fxguy1

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:26 pm

Glad to hear you got it working. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.