Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Heating pad emitting fumes
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Heating pad emitting fumes

by jccat on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:12 pm

I wired up a pair of the 5x10cm heating pads to a 12V supply. In order to fit them into the object I wanted to heat I folded them up. Long before the object itself got that hot the fabric mesh in the heating pads started to melt. There was a noxíous aroma coming from them that gave me an unpleasant buzz. Probably something not so good to breath.

I unplugged them and took them out and laid them in the open. The brownish plastic that encloses the elements was not damaged, only the fabric mesh. I plugged them back in and with ample air circulation they didn't melt any further but the presumably poisonous fumes were again being emitted. I think they go in the garbage now.

Just a heads up.

P.S. I don't mean this to be critical of adafruit. I love you guys!

jccat

Re: Heating pad emitting fumes

by dastels on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:09 pm

My thought is that being folded prevented heat from being dissipated quickly enough, thus overheating the polyester mesh. Also, at 12v it's at the highest heat output. Possibly running at a lower voltage or PWMing it would avoid the overheating. Even so, folding it is unlikely to be a good idea.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.