Pointing/Controlling Monster Mask's Eyes

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WhiteBoard

Pointing/Controlling Monster Mask's Eyes

Post by WhiteBoard »

Hi!

I'm looking for technical instructions and/or Arduino code to help me understand how to control the direction of a Monster Mask's gaze. I know this is possible, and I've seen information about configuring the eye options (e.g. style, etc.) but I haven't found information about how to steer the gaze up, down, left, and right.

I'm envisioning a function with two angle parameters in which I specify between, say, +/-30 degrees for horizontal and vertical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dastels

Re: Pointing/Controlling Monster Mask's Eyes

Post by dastels »

Have a look at this page in the guide https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... ource-code

In the code repo (https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... er/M4_Eyes) have a look at the various user_*.cpp file for how to add code.

Dave

WhiteBoard

Post by WhiteBoard »

Hi, Dave. Thanks for your reply. I apologize for my delayed response. I was expecting to receive an email if/when a forum reply was posted (I was pretty sure I’d checked that box).

I made an honest effort to follow your suggested links, but as an Arduino novice I was bewildered by the code and couldn’t recognize where I might modify it to allow me to direct where the mask’s eyes look. The guide lists this as a beginner-level project, which I find to be very humbling.

I have been into electronics since I was a kid, got my BSEE, and have been working in the field for over 35 years. However, my coding skills are weak. What I don’t know about leveraging code from libraries others have written could fill volumes.

Any recommendations for paying my dues so I can embark on a beginner-level project like adapting Adafruit’s M4 mask code to do fun stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I would be hesitant to call hacking on the mask firmware "beginner level"! While you don't need to write a great deal of code, and little of it complex, you do have to have a reasonable understanding of how the eye code works.

I'd start by fiddling with some of the examples. To add one of the user*.cpp files to the build, change the conditional in the first line to

Code: Select all

#if 1
in the file you want and be sure all the user user*.cpp files have it as 0.

user_neopixel.cpp will give an idea of how the user code capability works.

user_pir.cpp shows how to use a sensor (the PIR motion detector) to influence the operation of the eyes.

user_watch.cpp goes further and uses an AMG8833 thermal camera to make the eyes follow a warm body (e.g. a person) as it moves around in the field of view.

Experiment and have fun with it.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”