Wearable Time Lapse Camera Image Not Booting

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dbillups

Wearable Time Lapse Camera Image Not Booting

Post by dbillups »

https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... a/software

I've been able to take the "Long Way" (limited to 250 meg, not 2.5 gig, disk size) and make the system work perfectly.

Two things I can't make work are the ready made image and the resizing of the SD card.

I burn images all the time, I'm fairly experienced, this one will not boot. It looks right when I look at the files in windows. Have tried new download and different cards. No boot.

Now the resizing of the card, after the guide (gparted, etc.) ended I was left with a big space but the files never made it back to the card. I remember the step where you save the boot files, that step went too fast in my opinion, like it didn't really save the files to replace them later.

I keep at it, insanity and expecting a different outcome and all. Sometimes that actually works!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: Wearable Time Lapse Camera Image Not Booting

Post by mikeysklar »

@dbillups,

Have you tried using a current Pi OS image and plugging in the software bits for this project? It does not look like there is a lot of software dependencies that would require you to run a dated image.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

dbillups

Post by dbillups »

I thought about what I wrote, how I got the partitions resized, but the boot files never made it back. I put the resized card in a reader, plugged it into the setup Pi, went to the file manager, found the saved boot files, copied them back to the target boot folder and crossed my fingers. I put the resized card in the Pi zero with the camera, it booted and started taking pictures. I let it run a while then shut it down. I took the sd card out and viewed it in windows and there were all the photos! Now I have a 20GB space for the pictures, on the partition that windows can see. Problem solved! Now it's moot that I can't make the provided image work, but I'm still curious why.

THANKS!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Do you think something about resizing the partitions was causing all the boot files to be lost?

I see various warnings on the raspberry pi gparted site about minor settings that need to be checked to make sure the resize completes correctly.

https://raspberry-projects.com/pi/softw ... ls/gparted
Right click the main ‘ext4’ partition and select ‘check’ (we’ve found this to be necessary to ensure the new partition size is correctly updated in the file system even though it should be done as part of the resize – kept us chasing constantly failed resizes for hours before we discovered this).

Finally click the green arrow button to carry out the changes.

Reboot the RPi (yep its stupid but we’ve found a reboot to be needed even after removing and re-inserting the SD card), sudo startx, run gparted, select the USB drive and check the ext4 partition is locked again (mounted) and has its boot string back.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”