Red blinking light on Monster Mask

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
halloweenguy

Red blinking light on Monster Mask

Post by halloweenguy »

I received my order number 2600253-9608243679. The Monster Mask operated well for about an hour, then the eyes went black and a red blinking light started near the USB power port. I tried everything in the forums, including checking the USB cord, hitting reset, plugging into computer USB port (the drive did not show up on my computer until I pressed the reset button twice and opened the MASKM4BOOT (D:). Since I was able to open that, and not the CIRCUITPY (D:) drive, I went ahead with the instruction on wiping the board clear, reinstalling the UF2 and Python. At that point one of the screnes activated with wording and the CIRCUITPY opened. I reloaded the hazel eyes folder into there and pulled the config.eye file out into the base file. Hit reset, still no eyes , just the blinking red light. I also ran the M4SK diagnostic file and it acted like everything was fine, even said the eyes were ready to operate, but still no eyes.

The attached photos show where I am at this point. The code showing is as far as I can get. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Do you have any suggestions? I’m at a loss at this point.
Attachments
IMG-3125.jpg
IMG-3125.jpg (179.9 KiB) Viewed 445 times
IMG-3127.jpg
IMG-3127.jpg (683.92 KiB) Viewed 445 times
IMG-3126.jpg
IMG-3126.jpg (612.21 KiB) Viewed 445 times

dastels

Re: Red blinking light on Monster Mask

Post by dastels »

That seems to be working fine. I have no idea why the eyes stopped.

Several points:
- CircuitPython only supports one screen.
- Eye code is in C++, not CircuitPython.
- Specifically it's in a UF2 file, see https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... s-firmware.
- While this board will run CircuitPython it's not really meant to. Driving animated eyes on dual screens is beyond the capability of CircuitPython (at least on this MCU).
- You initially install CircuitPython to set up the flash filesystem for loading config and graphic files (as described on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... quickstart)
- The board can only contain/run one program at a time, in this case either CircuitPython or M4SKEYES ... whichever was most recently copied to MASKM4BOOT.

Read the tutorial guide in detail and make sure to understand it all, it's all in there. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-monster-m4sk-eyes

Dave

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

I'm sorry. I'm not seeing any C++ files, only (D:) files. What am I missing? I've read through the instruction over and over and don't see any referrence to C files. The UF2 file doesn't not appear as a folder, so no sure how to put the eyes files in that.

dastels

Post by dastels »

C/C++ is the language the eye code is written, aka Arduino. The UF2 is a file, not a folder, you copy UF2 files to the MASKM4BOOT drive.

Dave

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

I did copy the UF2 into the MASK file. Here are what the MASK and CIRCUITPY files have in them.
Attachments
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (5).png (28.45 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (17.64 KiB) Viewed 430 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

CIRCUITPY and MASKM4BOOT are not files, they're drives but you can treat them like directories.

What are the contents of CIRCUITPY/config.eye?

And what UF2 did you copy to MASKM4BOOT?

Dave

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

I pulled the config.eye out of the hazel folder. I used the M4SKEYES.UF2

dastels

Post by dastels »

That should do it.

You get no eyes?

Do you still get the little purple snake in the top corner and text on one screen?

Dave

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

Still no eyes, and no graphic either

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

Did you have any other ideas to resolve this? I am at a loss for what else to do. Let me know. Thanks!! Dave

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

Hey Dave,

Since we can't seem to get the Monster Mask to show eyes can I please get a replacement or refund for this order. Let me know. Thanks!!! Dave

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Since you are still able to see the MASKM4BOOT folder, the board is still generally working and the USB connection is OK.

Try the diagnostic UF2 here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... -3041421-3

Download the UF2 file. Double press reset to get MASKM4BOOT folder. Drag M4SK_Diagnostics.UF2 to the MASKM4BOOT folder.

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

Just tried the diagnostic again, have done that several times. Every time it just flashes and the screen goes black and I can't get the screen back without erasing and reformatting.

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

So now I'm not getting the CUIRCUTPY on reset any more. I can get to MASKM4 by double clicking reset, but no CIRCUITPY :-(

halloweenguy

Post by halloweenguy »

Just reloaded the Phython, and that opened the CIRCUITPY. On my screen is the purple snake in top left corner, along with the script: Auto-reload is on. Simply save files over USB to run them or enter REPL to disable.
code-py output:
Hello world!
Code done running.

That's as far as I'm ever able to get. Still no eye graphics.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”