MonsterM4sk - SLOW DOWN BLINKING?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rarekitchenware

MonsterM4sk - SLOW DOWN BLINKING?

Post by rarekitchenware »

Hi,

I just purchased the MonsterM4sk and I really love it!

However, I am wondering if there is a way to control the "blinking" speed of the eyes? I would like to make them blink slower.

Also, is there a way to control the direction they are looking? I would like to have the eyes focus on looking upwards.

Thanks a lot in advance!

dastels

Re: MonsterM4sk - SLOW DOWN BLINKING?

Post by dastels »

Customization is discussed in the product guide https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-monster-m4sk-eyes

The eye code is designed to allow user customization of how the code works. You can see that in the various user_*.cpp files in the source https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... er/M4_Eyes. For example, see https://learn.adafruit.com/monster-m4sk-is-watching-you. The user file user_pir.cpp plays with blinking.

Dave

rarekitchenware

Thanks for the answer, Dave.
It's my first time working with something like this, so please excuse me if my questions are stupid. Do I need a PIR sensor to set the speed of the blinking? Is there an easy way I can specify the blinking speed in the config.eye code?

dastels

Post by dastels »

You'd only need a PIR sensor if you wanted them to respond in some fashion to movement.

I don't see a way to set blink speed in the config. You would have to write code in c++, in a user_xx.cpp file, e.g. user_slow_blink.cpp. I don't know off hand how you would effect blink speed, but I'm sure you'd be able to. Making them look up should be more straight-forward as you could use the code in user_watch.cpp and HeatSensor.cpp as an example of how to manipulate eyeTargetX and eyeTargetY.

Dave

rarekitchenware

Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the reply. I looked into the codes you suggested, but my knowledge is not strong enough to be able to do this myself.

Would you be able/willing to explain to me step by step how I can make a simple code of the eyes looking upwards (the eye target) and then uploading it to the board?

I would be happy to renumerate you for your time.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Please see viewtopic.php?f=51&t=181542&hilit=+monster#p882658 for an example that lets you control gaze direction (up/down/right/left/ahead) by commands over the serial/USB connection. The key is controlling the values of moveEyesRandomly, eyeTargetX, and eyeTargetX. In that post there's a link to instruction on how to build the software for the MonsterM4SK.

Dave

RaspyBerryPi

Post by RaspyBerryPi »

rarekitchenware wrote:Hi Dave,

Thanks again for the reply. I looked into the codes you suggested, but my knowledge is not strong enough to be able to do this myself.

Would you be able/willing to explain to me step by step how I can make a simple code of the eyes looking upwards (the eye target) and then uploading it to the board?

I may be able to help you depending on what it is. If you're just wanting to change blinking speeds and such, it shouldnt be too difficult to edit :)

RaspyBerryPi

Post by RaspyBerryPi »

Also.. .Dave... do you happen to know which file it is to control the intensity of how far the eyes move to the side when looking around?

rarekitchenware

RaspyBerryPi wrote:

I may be able to help you depending on what it is. If you're just wanting to change blinking speeds and such, it shouldnt be too difficult to edit :)

That would be amazing! I essentially just want to make the eyes look upwards (like they are looking at the sky) and blink less frequently than in the standard setting/mode.

dastels

Post by dastels »

RaspyBerryPi wrote:Also.. .Dave... do you happen to know which file it is to control the intensity of how far the eyes move to the side when looking around?
The code is architected to allow behavior tweaking in a user*.cpp file (and additional files as required like in the AGM8833 gaze direction behavior). It's more a matter of what global variables to manipulate.

However, I don't see an easy way to control the radius of movement other than digging into the core code. Have a look at line 498 of M4_Eyes.ino. Try playing around with the calibration constant (the 0.6).

Dave

rarekitchenware

RaspyBerryPi wrote:

Do you think you would be able to help me out?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”