Interesting Eye Tracker

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
marcwolf

Interesting Eye Tracker

Post by marcwolf »

I saw this on Hackaday.
Be great to add this to the Uncanny Eyes etc

https://hackaday.io/project/180893-eye- ... le/details

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Interesting Eye Tracker

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That looks like a fascinating project, but something like the Uncanny Eyes project kind of points the other direction: the code randomly simulates eye movement and generates graphics to fit. There's no hardware or code to track the movement of any existing eyes.

marcwolf

Post by marcwolf »

I have always seen the uncanny eyes as to be a part of a costume.. Or in Animatronics/telepresence.
In fact that what I created the initial concept to be. Phil kindly helped me some math issues and a different direction for controlling the pupils. His process used a Cartesian to Polar co-ordinate translation

If you check in the Adafruit Tutorial with the Teensy 3.2.. I am THAT Marcwolf :) Or David Boccabella.

So when I saw this this looked to be the perfect addition to enable the eyes to follow one's gaze.. if the person is in a full bodied costume.

The changes in the code are not difficult.. just change the random movement with inputs from the eye tracker.

Sincerely
Marcwolf (Very long time creator)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Ah, I see what you mean: using the output from the eye tracking feature of the project you linked to control the position of the Uncanny Eyes.. that does sound neat.

The Uncanny Eyes code side would be pretty simple.. the code already has an option to control the eye positions with an external joystick. All you’d need to do is scale the eye tracking data to the same range and format.

I’ll mention it to PhilB, though I don’t know what he’s working on right now. You’re welcome to poke away at it yourself, and we’d love to see what you get.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”