how to monster mask

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Letsmock1up

how to monster mask

Post by Letsmock1up »

I purchased (3) monster mask to be used this year in my Christmas display on Nutcrackers. I have read through the documentation, have made the sclera solid white, the pupils as large as possible, removed the eye lids and deleted the splash Adafruit logo.

I separated the eyes, used the jump cable and mounted the eyes with the plastic lens on the inside of the Nutcracker's head (a trash can painted flesh color).
I will turn the eyes on/off via a relay.

All this works great—thanks to the team that put this together!

Now, I would like to change the eyes to a different look (folder?) while they are talking (servo controlling the lower set of teeth). I would like to use the default Hazel folder for the initial reveal, then change eye looks throughout the Nutcracker's segment. I do have 3 extra channels on the servo controller that can be changed from servo control to D I/O at either 3.5v or 5v. I have DMX control over the servo controller already.

So my question is:

1) Can I somehow trigger different eye looks (folders?) via the (3) little buttons or some other way?

thanks in advance

mikeysklar

Re: how to monster mask

Post by mikeysklar »

@Letsmock1up,

There is a secret feature to allow up to four different eye configs:
SECRET FEATURE: You can select among four different eye configurations on startup. Hold down one of the three buttons on top when powering on (or pressing reset) to load files config1.eye (inner button), config2.eye (middle button) or config3.eye (outer button) instead of the default config.eye. All go in the root directory for now (but graphics & such can go in folders).

If one of the ready-made designs does what you need…fantastic, you’re all done! If you want to make changes, or create your own custom eyes, read on…
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... s/graphics

Letsmock1up

Post by Letsmock1up »

mikeysklar,

Thanks for the reply. I read about this feature, but I want to trigger this remotely somehow.

Is this do-able

If so, how?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

We have a few types of remotes (IR, RF) or you could consider getting into bluetooth friend or airlift modules (wifi). Nothing specific to the monster mask so you will rolling your own solution. Take a look at some of these guides for ideas.

https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=remote

Letsmock1up

Post by Letsmock1up »

mikeysklar wrote:We have a few types of remotes (IR, RF) or you could consider getting into bluetooth friend or airlift modules (wifi). Nothing specific to the monster mask so you will rolling your own solution. Take a look at some of these guides for ideas.

https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=remote

mikeysklar,

Neither IR, nor RF will work in my environment. I need to trigger it with low voltage somehow. I have a controller that will live inside the Nutcracker head next to the Monster Mask eyes. That controller has spare channels which can be set to Digital I/O at either 3.5v or 5v. I am already getting a DMX signal to the controller for the servo function of the other channels inside the controller so I have the input side covered if I could just get the signal routed properly.

Will the mask except either of those voltages as a trigger to those three buttons? I have not read this anywhere

Or…are the other little 3 or 4 pin connectors on the mask capable of routing voltage to this function?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You can use your controller that outputs 3.5v or 5v, but it will require level shifting down to 3.3v.

The buttons would need to be removed so that you can connect into the monster mask with your connections.

The JST ports on the mask support other functions (NeoPixel chains, i2c and other sensors). They would not route the voltage through for the button toggle of eye changes.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... /downloads

Letsmock1up

Post by Letsmock1up »

mikeysklar wrote:You can use your controller that outputs 3.5v or 5v, but it will require level shifting down to 3.3v.

The buttons would need to be removed so that you can connect into the monster mask with your connections.

The JST ports on the mask support other functions (NeoPixel chains, i2c and other sensors). They would not route the voltage through for the button toggle of eye changes.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... /downloads
mikeysklar,

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks for clarification! Sending 3.3v shouldn't be a problem. We will see if I blow a mask up or not :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”