Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hotwire49

Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Post by hotwire49 »

I just received my Monster M4SK and when I power it on only the right LED comes on or lights up. If I shine a light into the left one there seems to be an image on the LED so the issue appears to be with the backlight. Is there anything the I can do to attempt a repair or was this defective out of box and needs to be replaced?

dastels

Re: Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Post by dastels »

You can check the display connector on the backlight-less screen. The cable should be straight and fully inserted. The black insert will pull out to let you adjust the cable, sliding it back into place clamps the cable in place.

Dave

hotwire49

Post by hotwire49 »

It appeared fine, but I already tried reseating and it still has no backlight. I can definitely confirm the LCD panel itself works, but the backlight is the issue. I also went ahead and updated the bootloader to the latest and the firmware to the latest just in case there was a software control of the backlight that was buggy, but no difference. I think this is just a defective unit. I was not able to find any datasheets on the screens themselves. Are there any resistors that determine the brightness that I can test to see if there is another cause other than bad screen? Or should it just be replaced at this point?

dastels

Post by dastels »

Sometimes the backlight is DOA it seems (on displays in general).

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one MonsterM4SK.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”