Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
namtimmad

Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Post by namtimmad »

Adafruit MONSTER M4SK - DIY Electronic Eyes Mask PRODUCT ID: 4343 - ORDER: #2662925-5716373907 - DATE ORDERED: Tuesday 21 September, 2021.
The left eye does not light up. everything else on the board seems to work fine.
Initially, I thought the separation cord needed to be in place to work, even before separating the eyes.
So I held off with doing anything further with it until the 2 cords(JST SH 9 PIN) I purchased (one for spare) came in the mail.
Putting the 9 pin cable in the connectors did not help so maybe was damaged in shipment, but I am happy to make the repairs myself as this will expedite the project build on my end. I have tried several eye variations in the software while somewhere in the middle of troubleshooting, reverted back to stock green eyes successfully, to no avail for the left eye.
Is there any way I can get a replacement LCD for the left side? I will gladly pay the cost as I am excited about getting this product up and working.
I am not sure which LCD screen to purchase for replacement. Can you point me in the right direction ?
M4SK back photo
M4SK back photo
M4SK back.jpg (387.49 KiB) Viewed 450 times
M4SK front photo
M4SK front photo
M4SK front.jpg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 450 times

dastels

Re: Monster M4SK Only One Eye Working OOB

Post by dastels »

Is the Screen displaying an image? If you shine a strong light at the screen you can see the image in the case that the backlight isn't working. You can try reseating that display connector.

Let me know how that goes.

Dave

namtimmad

Post by namtimmad »

No, I could not see an image with a flash light, but while I was trying that, I saw an image briefly light up while applying very little pressure when I picked it up with my thumb on the outer screen edge. So I sat it back down on my desk and lightly probed the screen face to replicate with a flexible spudger. What I found was that the top edge flexes or pivots a little where the wire attaches and maybe I hear grinding or squeaking, like glass on glass friction? I was able to get it to show an image once more by lifting that edge, but no more. >sad face< Are replacement screens available for purchase?

namtimmad

Post by namtimmad »

Hi Dave, I have been shopping in the store again and my item count is up to 31, LoL. Store name looks like adacandy from this end. Since I do not have a microscope or camera with macro abilities, I used a couple of magnifying glasses to help the naked eye and best guess of what I see is a fracture in the narrow strip above the screen area, so it’s definitely broken. I can add a replacement screen to my cart if I knew which is best. Which do I pick?

michaelc72

Post by michaelc72 »

Hi namtimmad,

I had a similar issue with one eye not working on delivery, but I purchased my Monster M4SK from Digi-key directly. They didn't even require I send the broken M4SK back, they just me a replacement, so I ordered a replacement TFT and fixed the broken M4SK. :-) The part you'll want to fix your broken M4SK TFT is https://www.adafruit.com/product/4421

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”