Do you have conductive fabric that varies in resistance base

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joshuatu0315

Do you have conductive fabric that varies in resistance base

Post by joshuatu0315 »

Hello,

I'm interested to see you have any conductive fabric that would change in resistance when it is stretched.

I'm hoping to see if it could be used as a bend sensor for my E-textile project.

Best,
Josh

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Do you have conductive fabric that varies in resistance

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

rpiloverbd

Post by rpiloverbd »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:We have this product: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3669
I often see conductive fabrics in your collection. I also have seen many of them in Sparkfun. But I never dared to buy any single piece of those. I always wonder, how safe these are to wear? I mean, what if there is an accidental short circuit? Won't the whole body get electrocuted? Would you please shed some light on this matter? Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The safety of any wearable project depends mostly on sensible design. The voltages used in wearable projects are typically 5v or less. You can safely touch both terminals of a 9v battery and experience no more than a tingle.

And the fabric has a resistance of 20K per square inch. So unless your project is using hazardously high voltage sources and has exposed bare wires, contact with the fabric is going to expose you to a few milliamps of current at most.

rpiloverbd

Post by rpiloverbd »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The safety of any wearable project depends mostly on sensible design. The voltages used in wearable projects are typically 5v or less. You can safely touch both terminals of a 9v battery and experience no more than a tingle.

And the fabric has a resistance of 20K per square inch. So unless your project is using hazardously high voltage sources and has exposed bare wires, contact with the fabric is going to expose you to a few milliamps of current at most.
Thanks a lot. It got me rid of a lot of misconceptions.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”