Using a Flora as a USB MIDI source?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Using a Flora as a USB MIDI source?

by TeeOnArdu on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:39 pm

i ported the Teensyduino 32u4 cores to Arduino as a new board definition. This should work for Flora too. All you have to do is update the bootloader (the original Arduino caterina has a bug) and palce the board definition files in your Arduino > hardware folder. You find the files at https://github.com/fricklr/TeeOnArdu
After that you can select TeeOnArdu as board type and MIDI as USB type.
I included also an example for MIDI in and out. this should be placed under Arduino > libraries > TeeOnArdu > Examples.
Have fun!
TeeOnArdu

by paulstoffregen on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:57 pm

While this code is open source and you're certainly allowed to do this from a legal perspective, I really hope you'll consider that development of all that code was funded by sales of Teensy boards.

Sales of Teensy have more recently funded libraries like OctoWS2811 and even more recently an advanced audio library that will make sophisticated CD quality audio projects very easy (on 32 bit ARM boards, which are clearly the long-term future), and a new PulsePosition library for RC aircraft control projects (where previously receiving more than 1 position modulated stream has been outside the capability of all libraries).

Many contributions back to Arduino have also been funded by Teensy sales.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/arduino_contrib.html

The Arduino folks are also developing lots of stuff, so when you buy a genuine Arduino Leonardo, at least you're funding something (as opposed to Asian clones which contribute nothing to the world).

Still, publishing stuff like this, where people buy a different board, does drain away funding that makes developing more open source software like this possible.

paulstoffregen

by TeeOnArdu on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Dear Paul,

i admire the work you have done with Teensy and i dont want to hurt you in any way with this. On the contrary i want to thank you for all your open source engagement.
But Please consider my work also as open source software development - i think the TeeOnArdu is something open source is made for - its improving live of folks who have Arduinos and want to explore it in new ways like USB MIDI. I waited for years for someone makeing this possible and now i did it myself and want to share it, so everybody can benefit.
If i wouldn't have used your code i would have reinvented the wheel - not having to do so is IMHO also an aim of open source. I attributed all your work (i hope i didnt miss anything) since i am totally aware that i only could have done that "standing on your shoulders".
TeeOnArdu

by paulstoffregen on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:45 pm

You're standing on my shoulders, but in doing so chipping away my only source for funding to continue more software development.

You're helping others, and yourself, but it does hurt me.

paulstoffregen

by neurogami on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 am

So I gave the TeeOnArdu thing a try with my Flora and it failed to load the boot loader. I think I was motivated mostly out a "I wonder if this will even work" curiosity than a real need. I can get USB MIDI on the Flora thanks to arcore if I use Linux and that's mostly good enough for me.

However, after reading about prospects of OSC on the Teensy I ordered two 3.1++ boards (they should be arriving quite soon; I got an E-mail they were shipped about an hour after I placed my order. Pretty amazing. Thanks, Paul!)

I tend to be a fan of multiple options and flexibility; run the code you want on the board you want, but that's not always a practical option. Besides, the Teensy Just Works. And I have more confidence in code designed to run on a Teensy when run on a Teensy than when run on another board unless the two devices really are the same in all ways that matter.

neurogami

by TeeOnArdu on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:17 am

@Paul: I tried to explain my point of view on open source and i'm really curious about your understanding of it.
TeeOnArdu

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.