🇺🇸Adafruit will not be shipping orders on Independence Day Monday 7/4/2022. Please allow extra time for your order to ship and plan accordingly.🇺🇸

Making a cheap Halloween mask brighter
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Making a cheap Halloween mask brighter

by cwells97 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:18 pm

I found a cheap Halloween mask when I was shopping at Kroger.
1.jpg
1.jpg (996.04 KiB) Viewed 407 times
I thought it looked cool, but things are always better with NeoPixels. I bought the mask and starting taking measurements to see which NeoPixel rings would best fit into my design. I ended up using two of the 16 count rings in the side filters and one 24 count ring which fit perfectly onto the front of the mask. I wanted to give some direct view of the NeoPixels with the larger ring and use the smaller ones facing backwards to create a side glow on the wearers head. A gemma was used for the controller, which was nice and small since I did not want any of the circuit to actually sit on my face. Epoxy was used to hold the wires in place.
5.jpg
5.jpg (925.73 KiB) Viewed 407 times
I also added a button on the bottom of the mask so that the animation could be changed on the fly. I am currently running just some of the test animation code, but plan to write my own blend of color animations before Halloween.
7.jpg
7.jpg (993.6 KiB) Viewed 407 times
I also thought it might be fun to add a microphone so the animation on the forward facing NeoPixel ring would react to my voice. I have had a lot of fun trying to blend the existing mask with the electronics without making them obviously added. I could have cut down on some wires on the back by daisy chaining the power and grounds, but thought it best to do it this way to keep any power fade to a minimum. I did daisy the signal wire so the animations would work and left a pig tail from the last ring in case I wanted to add any more. Thank you all for your work making these types of projects more accessible to everyone.

cwells97

Re: Making a cheap Halloween mask brighter

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:52 am

Awesome mask! Thanks for posting.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.