Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Stuffed Cube w/Orientation
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Stuffed Cube w/Orientation

by binko on Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:53 am

Ok, it's not quite a wearable but it's textile :-)

I'm thinking about making a stuffed fabric cube that detects its orientation and broadcasts that. You can think of it as a stuffed die (although it won't have dots - just 6 colors). Size will be about 8-12" per edge. Honestly, if it works I'll want more than one size.

I can handle the electronics I think (9DOF -> BLE Feather w/battery). My questions are about the sewing and how to place the electronics within the cube.

I'm expecting the enclosure it to be Altoids size: maybe a bit bigger depending on battery choice. I need it to be protected from blunt trauma (there are kids involved here) and yet remain oriented correctly with respect to the cube. That is, it's axes should align with the cube. I expect to calibrate it when I place the enclosure in the cube and then always start it "with red up" if you follow. I'd like to either add an inductive charging circuit (a stretch) or just have a zipper/pocket where I can turn off the electronics & swap batteries.

So, here's the questions:
Should I be worried about heat? I don't think a simple circuit would overheat, but are there any stuffings I should avoid?

How would you secure the enclosure to a side while protecting it? I'm thinking some type of pocket sewn into a side w/stuffing between the enclosure and the side - have you seen anything like this? What did Teddy Rukspin do?

Would I be better off with a box in the center and padding all around? Or stuffing it full? This won't be a stuffed animal or a chair, but may have children's weight on it.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

binko

Re: Stuffed Cube w/Orientation

by Disciple on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 am

Boy, am I not qualified to comment...but that's never stopped me before.
Your cube sounds like something constructed like a seat cushion, 6 squares stitched along 11 edges with a velcro strip to close the 12th edge, then turned inside-out. I'd imagine filling it with two half-cubes of foam and the electronics sandwiched between, with an Altoids-shaped hollow cut from one half-cube to keep it in position, and Sharpie-marked to ensure that it's seated right-way-around to the outer colors. Easy to pull out the contents and throw the skin into the laundry.
I defer to the experts regarding materials and battery tech. Maybe the next project could be a stuffed D20. (c;
Best of success.

ETA: Answered live today on Wearable Electronics with Becky Stern, a hundred times better than I did.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by binko on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Outstanding live answer: https://youtu.be/n9XhjkKo0Vk?t=15m53s

Thanks folks - I will keep you updated and take pix for a guide if you'd like.

binko

by binko on Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Ok lots of good progress on this but I have a concern about the inductive charging.
The cube works, it controls the infinity mirror and one Bluetooth light (coordinating more than one is in progress) and I'm happy eith the results. We made the cube from styrofoam and are going to cover it in batting, then vinyl and be done

Here's a video of it working. http://youtu.be/4jHxGk8lj_k

But we need to charge so I put together an inductive charting circuit and it works great... Except!

When I tested the charging, I set the coils together: the transmitter was hooked to a 12v 2a charger and was sitting on styrofoam. The receiver wan into the feather's USB pin and we got the yellow charging light (yay)

But the sending coil heated to the point that the foam melted. Probably 150-160F. I'm not that concerned:I can mount the transmitter on another surface. But the receiving cool will be in contact with the foam and the batting of the cube. Any suggestions? The receiving cool wasn't hot but it did raise my concern.

Here's a walk through of the issue;
http://youtu.be/tDe-iMg0v98

Thanks
Bill

binko

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.