Does Trinket 3.3v work on iMac's, running macOS 10.12.2

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deu1

Does Trinket 3.3v work on iMac's, running macOS 10.12.2

Post by deu1 »

Has anyone had problems entering BOOT LOADER MODE with the Trinket 3.3v on an iMac desktop running macOS Sierra, version 10.12.2? When I pluggged my new Trinket 3.3v into my iMac's USB port the green light goes on and the red light comes on but is dimmed and stays on for about 3 seconds and does not pulsate like it is suppose to, so I am unable to enter the Boot Loader mode. The new USB cable that I am using is one that I got from Adafruit. If anyone has had the same problem with their iMac desktop and was able to get their Trinket into Boot Loader mode, please reply to this post. I'm frustrated. I don't know what to do. I don't know whether it's the iMac desktop not being able to recognize the Trinket or whether it's the Trinket that is either not working or some how not able to be recognized by the iMac desktop. IF ANYONE HAS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND RESOLVED IT, PLEASE REPLY TO MY POST. Hoping someone has the answer!

Dan Urbauer

deu1

Re: Does Trinket 3.3v work on iMac's, running macOS 10.12.2

Post by deu1 »

I have additional information for the engineers about this problem; it is: I purchased your small spy camera, Product ID: 3202 and my iMac desktop computer recognizes it using the cable you sent with it. Whereas, the Trinket doesn’t work even though I am using the cable you sent with it. I hope this will be helpful for the resolution of this problem.

Awaiting contact with one of the Support engineers.

Dan Urbauer

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Do you have a USB hub? Can you try connecting through that? Sierra has tightened up USB specs. The Trinket relies on USB emulation in software. Sometimes Sierra can have a problem with it.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Rick,

The USB cable that I got from Adafruit when I bought the camera and the Trinket does not work. I took it to my local electronics store (not Radio Shack, but an actual store that sells electronic parts to pro's and hobbyists, like me) and they checked it there and found that it is not working. I think Adafruit owes me a new cable. I have been excited about trying to build the time lapse camera, but having a bad cable adds to the frustration. I ended up purchasing a new cable from the electronics store. I do have a hub and will try that. If that doesn't work, what other options do I have? In your reply you mentioned USB emulation, what does that mean, and is there something that I can do to mitigate possible issues with Sierra so my computer will recognize the Trinket.

Dan

adafruit_support_rick

So, the trinket doesn't work with a known good USB cable? Earlier, you said you were using the adafruit cable, which turned out to be bad.

The only mitigation would be a USB 2.0 hub.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Yes, the Trinket finally worked using the new cable I purchased from the electronics store. However, even with the new cable, I had to press the on/off button on the Trinket several times before the red LED on the Trinket started to pulsate. When I then turned the Trinket off and tried turning it on again I had to press the on/off button several times, each of those times wondering if the red LED would start to pulsate. Fortunately, it pulsated again allowing me to upload the software. You said in an earlier reply that macOS Sierra might have trouble recognizing it, which I believe to be the case. Because each time I plugged the Trinket in, I was not sure if the red LED would pulsate or just stay dimmed and not pulsating. I guess pressing the on/off button enough times some how made my iMac finally recognize it. So, I think you are right regarding the macOS Sierra software. I feel lucky that it did finally recognize the Trinket. As I write this I am not convinced that if I tried plugging the Trinket in again that it would be recognized by the iMac immediatly. Given that, do you have any suggestions about how I might make the iMac recognize it every time? And I do thank you for your support and suggestions.

Dan

adafruit_support_rick

Really, the USB 2.0 hub is your best bet.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Rick,

Is Adafruit going to replace my cable?

Dan

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement cable

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”