Using Pro Trinket LiPoly Backpack without Trinket
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Using Pro Trinket LiPoly Backpack without Trinket

by GDRitter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 am

Hey everyone,

I'm really new to electronics and wanted to get a Lithium charging circuit that would let me charge up 1S cells, preferably insitu, on a breadboard and also output their power without any boost/buck conversion, just regular voltage.

I was going to get the micro USB charger https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904 but my wife ordered the wrong one for me as part of a gift. She got me the Trinket charging backpack. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2124

I have some Micro USB breakout PCBs that are spare, is it possible to simply solder a 5v Micro USB connection to the backpack GND and 5V pins to charge without a trinket? What i'm thinking is i could put a Micro USB plug on TOP of the backpack, (a backpack backpack? lol) and then have male headers out the bottom for GND and BAT to plug the battery into a breadboard through the same board.

Is there any reason this wouldn't work or may be dangerous? My wife was really excited to have listened to my ramblings about electronics, which doesn't interest her at all really, and get me something she thought was something I really wanted. I'd rather do a quick little mod to it and not tell her it's not exactly right.

GDRitter

Re: Using Pro Trinket LiPoly Backpack without Trinket

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

The circuitry on the backpack is pretty much the same as the Micro USB charger. If you graft a USB connector to the +5c and GND pins, it will charge the LiPo.

adafruit_support_bill

by GDRitter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Would you mind just looking to see if this make sense then?

So on the USB breakout I have, I'll cut the traces for the middle pins and bridge the GND over so it's adjacent to the 5v pin.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Then flip that over and put it on top of the backpack. So the backpack will have GND and BAT going down for a breadboard and then will have 5v and GND going up to the usb. So GND will have a header in both directions while 5v and BAT go in one or the other only.

Does this make sense?
arrangement.png
arrangement.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 100 times

GDRitter

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

That looks like it should work.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.