Fried trinket 5v
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Fried trinket 5v

by Khevob on Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I bought a trinket to use for led strip animation, It was a lot of trying, since it's my first project, but it worked for a while. I wrote the entirety of the code first then enabled features one by one, and tested them. The last feature took the program size up to 5200~ bytes, 98% of the available space, so i tought it came out just perfect.

Upon uploading the code to the trinket, i got an error message, wich i assumed was just that i forgot to set it into bootloader mode again, but after that, the trinket just stopped working. It doesn't run the previous version of the code, and the reset button does nothing, it doesn't enter bootloader mode anymore, nor does the red led light up upon reset.

I read here that you can restore the bootloader via an Arduino UNO, but i don't have access to one, nor any other board, only a windows laptop.

Did i overwrite the bootloader, or just simply fried it somehow? How could i fix it without another board? Should i just trash it?

Khevob

Re: Fried trinket 5v

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Did i overwrite the bootloader, or just simply fried it somehow?

Possibly. If there were no hardware changes and it was simply a sketch upload, then this seems more likely than frying it. However, did this "last feature" also enable some aspect of the hardware interface that previously had not been used?

How could i fix it without another board?

What other boards do you have that may be similar to an UNO?

adafruit_support_carter

by Khevob on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 pm

The program is a rather simple led strip control, with a few buttons and animations. The last update was just an other animation, nothing new really, same pins same functions. Now the board just doesn't do anything, only the green led lighting up when i plug it in, no data output on any pins, reset does nothing it seems.

As for other boards, I do have an other trinket 5v, and nothing else. I will ask around my friends, but i doubt anyone has one lying around.

How much data would you say is still safe to upload? Don't really want to just try and upload it to the other one, until i make sure. If i can get the code down to 5000 bytes that should be good enough, yeah?

Khevob

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm

The uploader shouldn't let you overwrite by the bootloader by simply trying to install too large of a program. It knows how much room is available for your sketches. It's possible that new animation code you added just happened to be the one to exceed an array bound and step on the bootloader section.

Asking around sounds like a good idea. If you can get your hands on a loaner UNO, then we can try the bootloader repair process.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.