AudioOut on Trinket M0
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

AudioOut on Trinket M0

by Coeptus on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:16 pm

I know that most of the guides state that the Trinket M0 does not support audioio (and as a result AudioOut).

Is there an actual hardware reason for this? or is it just a fact that you can't really store any large audio files on the SAMD21E18 chip so there isn't a reason to include the audioio module.

I have a project that I *thought* could be handled by the Trinket M0...not realizing that it had the limitation of no AudioOut.

Would it be possible to add the audioio functionality to the Trinket M0. I know that the ItsyBitsy M0 can handle AudioOut....but I have VERY small space restraints. I am eventually creating a custom PCB, and would really like to maintain the QFN32 footprint rather than switching up to the QFN48. Just figured I'd scream into the void to see if anyone out there had an opinion.

Thanks!

Coeptus

Re: AudioOut on Trinket M0

by BryonMiller on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 am

Does your project require CircuitPython?

If not, I know you could play wav files on a M0 like I am doing. I'm using a Feather M0 so, like Trinket M0, I have 256KB of program memory (which is where I use C arrays to store wav files). My program is relatively small so most of memory is available. Of course there is only one true analog output on a M0 so can only play mono.

BryonMiller

by adafruit2 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:26 am

totally not enough flash space - the audioio code wont fit on the non-Express boards. you could do it in arduino if ya like but cant in circuitpython.

adafruit2
Site Admin

by danhalbert on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:57 pm

You can build your own version of CircuitPython that includes audioio but leaves other things out, though it requires C programming skills. Here's someone who made space for other things on a Trinket M0: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=138012

Basic build instructions are here: https://learn.adafruit.com/building-cir ... n?view=all

danhalbert

by Coeptus on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 pm

I appreciate all the responses. I am pretty new to coding....so I'm not sure if I want to try and tackle running something OTHER than CircuitPython, or making my own customized version of CircuitPython.

I have ordered an ItsyBitsy M0, which should give me the capabilities to do what I need to do. Once I have my breadboarded prototype working, I may revisit this and see if I can cram my program and sound files into a modified Trinket M0 type of format.

Coeptus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.