Trinket 5v no bootloader
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket 5v no bootloader

by Naidan on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello,

I have read through all the tutorials and forums and have tried all the things mentioned,
I have 3 x 5v trinkets none of which will get to the bootloader stage for me to upload code. I have installed the latest drivers (windows 10) and I have the trinket show up in my device manager as a USBTiny device but the bootloader does not show up. I have changed cables with several different ones only to get the same result, I have tried on several different computers and loaded drivers on those computers, only get have the same result, I have tried using a usb 2.0 hub only to get the same result.

When I plug it in the green light is on and red light flashes and goes off after about 20 flashes, I have pressed button after installing the drivers only to have the same result.

I have used the Arduino IDE but cannot select a port as this is greyed out

Please advise what else I can do to get the bootloader working

Naidan

Re: Trinket 5v no bootloader

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:04 am

The Trinket will never show up in the IDE as a Serial Port. It doesn't have any real USB hardware, the bootloader just emulates a simple low-speed USB connection long enough to upload the firmware.

You have to manually click the reset button when you upload, and arrange the timing so the red LED is pulsing when the IDE starts trying to upload the code.

adafruit_support_mike

by Naidan on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:24 am

Hello thanks for the response, but still not working for me,
i'm using the blink as a test and it compiles pretty quick, I press the button and red light starts blinking as IDE says uploading but I get the following error message

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino M0"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/8c/6nf35_ns7v96zrql37p_1r780000gp/T/arduino_cache_964388/core/core_arduino_samd_mzero_bl_8e8b5d0bd35144706e6d411352624630.a
Sketch uses 10224 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected. If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Naidan

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Those messages say you have the wrong board selected in the Arduino IDE’s Tools->Board menu. You want ‘Trinket’ instead of ‘Arduino M0’.

As a sanity check, are you using the original Trinket or the Trinket M0?

adafruit_support_mike

by Naidan on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:47 am

Hello, I am using a mini 5v trinket MO

I have chosen the 8mHz version and have managed to get the blink to work, so thanks for the advice,

I am currently having issues loading my project onto it as the code is from the Screaming Cauldron project https://learn.adafruit.com/screaming-ca ... cuitpython

I copy the code and paste it into Arduino IDE but it is coded to CircuitPython, should this matter?

I have no clue with the coding, please help

Naidan

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 pm

There is no 8MHz Trinket M0. Post a photo of the board you're using and we'll see what you have. 800x600 images usually work best.

adafruit_support_mike

by kcuhc255 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm having a similar problem with the Trinket 3V. I've used these for various projects over the past couple years and have always been able to get them to work, but no more. The one I'm using does NOT pulse the red LED - just lights up briefly when the reset button is pressed. There is nothing unusual about this environment and in fact, I use it quite successfully with Feathers, Pro Trinkets and basic Uno's - the problem is only with the Trinket. Any ideas or suggestions - it's very frustrating as I'm using this in an existing project but can no longer upgrade the code.

kcuhc255

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:19 am

That kind of behavior from the red LED usually means you've connected the Trinket to a USB-3 port.

The USB-3 device recognition process starts with a burst of 480MHz data, which is 60x faster than the Trinket's CPU clock. The chip can't handle that kind of noise, and resets. What you see as a dim glow is actually the microcontroller resetting and reooting about once per millisecond until the USB host gives up.

Try putting a cheap/old USB-2 hub between the computer and the Trinket. The hub will have its own USB host chip that speaks at a rate the Trinket can handle.

adafruit_support_mike

by kcuhc255 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am

That would have been an easy fix, but the ports on my Macbook Pro are both USB-2. I have the same issues with the Trinket on my iMac - also USB-2. I do have an older Windows machine that I haven't tried yet, but in the past I never had a problem with the Trinket on Apple machines. Something must have changed.

kcuhc255

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 am

We haven't changed the hardware or the bootloader for a couple of years.

USB problems are a known issue, and have been one since the Trinkt and Pro Trinket first came out.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.