Trinket support for red blinking light patterns
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket support for red blinking light patterns

by kadafruit on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 am

So, I’ve spent over 4 hours scouring the web and YouTube videos for help with my trinket. It has a constant green light and will blink red for 10sec, and then it will blink red 3 times quickly followed by a pause repeatedly. I’ve tried various micro sd data cables (that work with other devices), and have tried plugging it in on all of the USB ports for a 2009 MacBook Pro, as well 6 different ports on a pc from 2011. None of the ports are usb3.

Support email told me to include this info on a forum post.

1867519-3298466825
sept 30th, 2018

kadafruit

Re: Trinket support for red blinking light patterns

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:06 am

That's the normal behavior for a Trinket.

The board doesn't have any real USB hardware, the bootloader just emulates a low-speed USB connection long enough to upload firmware. The red LED pulses while the bootloader is waiting for a computer to make a connection and upload firmware.

The Trinket tutorial over in the Learning System explains how to upload code to it:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction

adafruit_support_mike

by kadafruit on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:30 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:That's the normal behavior for a Trinket.

The board doesn't have any real USB hardware, the bootloader just emulates a low-speed USB connection long enough to upload firmware. The red LED pulses while the bootloader is waiting for a computer to make a connection and upload firmware.

The Trinket tutorial over in the Learning System explains how to upload code to it:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction

Every video and guide I've seen says it'll blink for 10 seconds and stop. They say you have to push the reset to get it to upload code. Mine continues to blink 3 quick flashes followed by a pause endlessly. It never stops. You're saying that's normal? Every guide online shows the trinket only having a solid green after the first 10 seconds of being plugged in?

My macbook is also only showing "bluetooth" as an option for port when attempting to upload code.

kadafruit

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 pm

It has a constant green light and will blink red for 10sec, and then it will blink red 3 times quickly followed by a pause repeatedly.

In your original post you said it showed the green PWR LED along with the expected 10 secs of blinking red while in bootloader. That is normal. Is it no longer doing that?

The subsequent 3 quick blinks / pause could be code that is running after the bootloader.

adafruit_support_carter

by kadafruit on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:52 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
It has a constant green light and will blink red for 10sec, and then it will blink red 3 times quickly followed by a pause repeatedly.

In your original post you said it showed the green PWR LED along with the expected 10 secs of blinking red while in bootloader. That is normal. Is it no longer doing that?

The subsequent 3 quick blinks / pause could be code that is running after the bootloader.

The unit is new. It has no code on it. I cannot get any port to come up as an option on my mac laptop except "bluetooth" if I'd attempt to load code on the trinket.

Yes, when I plug it in it blinks for 10 secs and then does the 3 blinks/pause 3 blinks/pause endlessly.

I tried it on a win7 machine and it will not connect to it either. I followed this - https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... stallation and it doesn't work. Device manager shows that the usb item (trinket) isn't installed or whatever. When I plug it in it says it didn't install properly. Manually trying to update drivers through device manager doesn't work either. It keeps saying the microsoft driver is the correct driver (yet it still has an exclamation or whatever on it), and it won't work.

I've loaded the extra board drivers or whatever & used the link to update it per the instructions.
https://adafruit.github.io/arduino-boar ... index.json

I don't know what to do at this point, which is why I turned to youtube videos. No videos show the unit blinking like mine, so I thought maybe the board is bad. If it's not bad, I don't know what else to do at this point seeing as how both of my machines aren't working.

kadafruit

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Can you post a screen capture of what you're seeing in device manager on the Win 7 machine. Did you see any error messages when you went through the driver installation process?

adafruit_support_carter

by kadafruit on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 pm

So I went back to the win7 machine and now the usb doesn't have an exclamation point now. The trinket is also not blinking 10 times when it's first plugged in now. ugh. It lights up red for about 1 second and then about 3 seconds later it starts the 3 red light blinking/pause series on the windows machine. It didn't do the 10 seconds of blinking. I unplugged it and plugged it back in a bunch of times. I also tried the button on the trinket. Same result.

I pulled up device manager and now the exclamation is gone. Plugged it in when I was on the device manager page and the error on the bottom right about it not being recognized popped up
=================
=================

It briefly popped up an exclamation and I got a pic

=================
=================

If I go into the arduino coding spot you can see how the menu system only lets me pick com1. It won't let me get the board info etc.
=================

kadafruit

by kadafruit on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Also disregard the scsi controller with the exclamation. That's just a pci board. The scsi drives have the drivers on them, and the scsi drives are all out of the machine at this moment.

kadafruit

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for the screenshots.
Manually trying to update drivers through device manager doesn't work either. It keeps saying the microsoft driver is the correct driver (yet it still has an exclamation or whatever on it), and it won't work.

It seems like this could be the culprit. Try this again, and read through this thread and see if it helps:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43217

adafruit_support_carter

by kadafruit on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:40 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Thanks for the screenshots.
Manually trying to update drivers through device manager doesn't work either. It keeps saying the microsoft driver is the correct driver (yet it still has an exclamation or whatever on it), and it won't work.

It seems like this could be the culprit. Try this again, and read through this thread and see if it helps:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=43217

The windows hotfix seems to be in a windows update now. It says the the "hotfix" cannot be downloaded on its own. It says to download the latest windows updates. I just double checked. I don't know if you saw in my last post, but it is NOT blinking when plugging the trinket in. It stays red for around a second, then it turns off for around 3 seconds, and then it starts the 3 blink/pause loop.

I've messed with this thing endlessly trying different things. Now, when I plug it in/unplug it, it doesn't give the windows balloon usb error. It doesn't show up in device manager with unknown device or anything. The usb section has no exclamation issues. If I hold down the trinket button it'll show the unrecognized balloon down by the clock and will immediately disappear as soon as I release the button. It will show a new unknown device in device manager while that happens, but immediately disappears from the usb list when I release the button. The trinket just does the endless 3 red blinking pattern. So now I cannot even get to the item to try and update a driver, seeing as how it's not even listed in device manager now.

When I plug it into the mac laptop it DOES the 10 seconds of red blinking (unlike the pc), and then it converts over to the 3 red blink/pause endlessly. If I open up the arduino program it still only shows the bluetooth option.

I'm beyond frustrated with this thing.

kadafruit

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Not sure what is going on with the Windows machine. There is a recent bug in the Arduino IDE that has been causing grief with some of the Trinket boards:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issu ... -429684531
but based on what you're seeing, I'm not sure it's the same thing.

On the Mac:
When I plug it into the mac laptop it DOES the 10 seconds of red blinking (unlike the pc), and then it converts over to the 3 red blink/pause endlessly. If I open up the arduino program it still only shows the bluetooth option.

Is that what it shows during the 10 secs of blinking?

adafruit_support_carter

by kadafruit on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:02 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Not sure what is going on with the Windows machine. There is a recent bug in the Arduino IDE that has been causing grief with some of the Trinket boards:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issu ... -429684531
but based on what you're seeing, I'm not sure it's the same thing.

On the Mac:

Is that what it shows during the 10 secs of blinking?

It shows bluetooth only options when it's first plugged in or when the unit is doing the three red flashes/pause pattern. It doesn't change. I uninstalled and then went to version 1.6.13 per the link you provided and it is still doing the same thing on the mac. It is only showing what is visible on my screenshot with the bluetooth options. I verified it's showing 1.6.13 in the arduino>about arduino

kadafruit

by adafruit2 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

hmm @kadafruit, lets try replacing it, see if that helps - email support@adafruit for a new Trinket 5V
you might also wnat to skip to the Trinket M0, it has true USB on it, is not nearly as finicky!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.