Trinket M0 input voltage question
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trinket M0 input voltage question

by bigscaryprawn on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi,
I'm super new to circuits and microcontrollers, so I wanted to use one of the cool looking projects on this site to get my feet wet, but may have inadvertently run into a problem. The project I want to do is this one, https://learn.adafruit.com/secret-knock ... rawer-lock, and in putting together the materials, saw the depreciation warning on the trinket mini 5V (item 1501), which recommended the trinket M0. I didn't notice that the two controllers had really different power requirements (as far as I can tell), where the trinket mini can be powered with up to 16V, but the M0 should be powered with 3V to 6V. So, I don't want to zorch the trinket M0 with the 12V battery pack, and I was wondering if a fix for the voltage issue might be stringing a series of 1N4001 diodes prior to the trinket power input to bring the voltage down to 6V, but I don't know if that will mess with anything else that would prevent the M0 from working properly. Also, running like six diodes doesn't seem like it is efficient. I know that the simplest option would be to just buy a 3V to 6V battery pack to power the M0 and use the 12V battery pack to power the transistor and lock solenoid. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Thanks,
Chris

bigscaryprawn

Re: Trinket M0 input voltage question

by franklin97355 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:24 am

You could use your 12v battery and an external voltage regulator

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.