Suspected Bootloader Issue with New Neo Trinkey

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mdkling

Suspected Bootloader Issue with New Neo Trinkey

Post by mdkling »

Hello I just received a new Neo Trinkey (P/N 4870) and can't get it up and running. I've tried plugging it into multiple USB ports on multiple computers with both Windows and Linux, and the USB device is never detected. I was able to confirm with a Trinket M0 that there are no issues on the computer side detecting SAMD USB devices. Double-clicking the reset to enter UF2 mode does not appear to do anything. There is no activity on the NeoPixels, and the USB device is not detected.

Is there something else I can try to troubleshoot?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Suspected Bootloader Issue with New Neo Trinkey

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Does the board seem solid when inserted into USB port? Since the Neo Trinkey has the simple exposed side edge USB connection, it won't be as solid as USB connectors with shields. So maybe it's not fully engaging?

mdkling

Post by mdkling »

It feels like a solid connection. The PWB has the same width and thickness of my YubiKey and I don't have any issues with that.

Is any demo code loaded into the Neo Trinkey prior to shipment such that I would be able to see activity on the NeoPixels if I applied 5V directly to the VBUS and GND pads on the USB connector? Or does it come blank with just the bootloader?

mdkling

Post by mdkling »

Some more info: I just checked with the board plugged into a USB port and I'm getting a stable 3.3V out from the LDO and /RESET is going 'High', so I think the SAMD is alive and coming out of reset. It looks to me like the bootloader was either not flashed in or corrupted somehow, but I can't verify that without a SWD setup.

adafruit_support_carter

It should have come with a demo that does a rainbow swirl on the NeoPixels. But without any USB enumeration.

Do you get anything if you double press the reset button?

mdkling

Post by mdkling »

Yeah I'm definitely not seeing the rainbow swirl demo. Double pressing the reset button doesn't seem to do anything - I don't see the NeoPixels flash either red or green and the UF2 drive doesn't appear on my host PC. I double checked with my Trinket M0 to make sure I was getting the right timing pressing the button.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, thanks for all the checking. Let's just replace it and see if that helps. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement Neo Trinkey.

mdkling

Post by mdkling »

Ok, thanks for your help!

mdkling

Post by mdkling »

Update: just got my RMA replacement Neo Trinkey.

It comes right up with the standard rainbow-swirl pattern on the neopixels and correctly enters UF2 mode when I double-click the reset button (neopixels turn green and TRINKEYBOOT drive mounts).

Thanks for your help! Everything is working as expected so far on the replacement device.

adafruit_support_carter

Cool. Glad the replacement worked. Thanks for letting us know. Have fun!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”