Best, smallest micro controller for a project?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
endros

Best, smallest micro controller for a project?

Post by endros »

Looking for the best micro controller for a prototype im building, requirements are:

Onboard: bluetooth, serial lines, i2c Optional: wifi (currently don't need it but may be a feature use in the future) Onboard but can use external devices if required: Nfc, mp3 player (used dfplayer mini for proof of concept), battery connector and pmic.

I know some of this stuff is pretty specific and I may not be able to have it all on a single controller. Eventually I'll have a board printed based on the esp32 (probably), but right now I need to realistically see how small I can make it and still be viable.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Best, smallest micro controller for a project?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

tepalia02

Post by tepalia02 »

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

In theory, the QT-PY ESP32 Pico meets your needs: Note, I've bought the Pico board particularly for the bluetooth, but I haven't used it yet.

It may or may not meet your needs. Note, it only has 11 data pins, plus an additional 2 pins for the I2C with STEMMA QT cable (there are 2 I2C buses). You might not have enough pins.

You said you wanted serial lines (i.e. plural). The QT PY ESP32 Pico seems to only have one serial UART line (pins TX/RX).

You said you wanted sound output. The ESP32 Pico does have 2 pins that can do analog output (A0, A1), but they are only 8-bit resolution. I don't know if that is good enough. You can hook up any pins to I2S for sound input/output, but note I2S needs 3 control pins, plus input and output.

It supports wifi, bluetooth classic, and BLE. Some of the other ESP QT-PY's don't support all 3 (the ESP32-S2 only supports wifi and no bluetooth, the ESP32-S3/ESP32-C3 support wifi and BLE, but no classic bluetooth). The SAMD and RP2040 QT-PYs don't support wifi or bluetooth.

The QT PY line supports a battery board (lipo BFF) that attaches underneath the QT PY. In my experience, using the QT PY with the Lipo BFF becomes a little awkward to break out the pins to a prototype board.

The ESP32 Pico QT PY does not support native USB. It has a separate chip to handle the USB to a second serial port not accessible via the pins. This means the QT-PY ESP32 Pico can't be used to emulate a keyboard or mouse.

I don't know what NFC is or whether it supports it.

endros

Post by endros »

endros wrote:Looking for the best micro controller for a prototype im building, requirements are:

Onboard: bluetooth, serial lines, i2c Optional: wifi (currently don't need it but may be a feature use in the future) Onboard but can use external devices if required: Nfc, mp3 player (used dfplayer mini for proof of concept), battery connector and pmic. https://BANNED/

I know some of this stuff is pretty specific and I may not be able to have it all on a single controller. Eventually I'll have a board printed based on the esp32 (probably), but right now I need to realistically see how small I can make it and still be viable.
issue got solved

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

It might be useful to mention what processor you wound up with.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”