Design flaw in Trinket?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rob_duarte

Design flaw in Trinket?

Post by rob_duarte »

I love the idea of this microcontroller because it makes it possible to do workshops or low-cost projects with students. I have to wonder if there is a problem with the design, however. I have gotten to the point where I can't recommend the Trinket anymore because of the trouble that we've had. Currently I'm working with a grad student who I recommended purchase the board for a simple task in her thesis show. Right out of the box, the board has the green LED on and a constant dim red LED (bad sign). I have tried 3 different cables, 2 USB 2.0 hubs, and 3 computers. Same problem. Last semester, I had a class of 15 students and it quickly became a nightmare as we often had the same problem (constant dim red LED or no red LED at all). Students with newer laptops (presumably USB 3.0) could never program the boards and most other students had to plug/unplug several times to get the board to communicate. We're using the latest Arduino software each time, and USB cables that we purchased from Adafruit (or their phone cables when we wanted to see if it was a cable issue). I'd say half of the class had very frequent problems uploading programs to the boards. I know this isn't a problem that can be solved at this point (although I'm going to recommend to the current student that she try to return the board for a replacement) and I'm not just posting to gripe... What I really want to know is if it's time to retire this board since it seems to be quite finicky with USB 3.0 and most computers seem to be using USB 3.0 at this point. As an educator, I can't justify ordering USB 2.0 hubs because it *might* solve the problems that I'm expecting to have with a classroom full of Trinkets. (For some background, I've been using microcontrollers since 2004 and I have done some research into the specific issues I'm describing - the answers seem to always be (1) try another cable (2) try a hub (3) return the board for replacement).

Thanks,
Rob

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Design flaw in Trinket?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The next generation Trinket is in works.

The current Trinket uses a very minimal software based USB communication which is not the most robust. And it seems like the USB host hardware and/or the OS driver software has changed over the years to make this issue even worse. That's why our current best fix is to try and use it with a USB 2.0 hub.

rob_duarte

Post by rob_duarte »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:The next generation Trinket is in works.

The current Trinket uses a very minimal software based USB communication which is not the most robust. And it seems like the USB host hardware and/or the OS driver software has changed over the years to make this issue even worse. That's why our current best fix is to try and use it with a USB 2.0 hub.
I'd be okay with that workaround if it worked but I've already gone there with no success.

Rob

professor k

Post by professor k »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:The next generation Trinket is in works.
Details! We need details! :) Don't leave us hanging. We need a sneak peak. Or at least a vaguely worded feature list, something!

-K

adafruit_support_carter

It's been discussed on various Desk of Ladyada's. Something something M0...

professor k

Post by professor k »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:It's been discussed on various Desk of Ladyada's. Something something M0...
Thanks. I found one from back in Dec 2016 where she says that "it should be for sale early next year", but I don't see anything since then, at least not that's mentioned in the titles. Do you know if there has been any update to the ETA?

-K

adafruit_support_carter

Do you know if there has been any update to the ETA?
Sorry, I don't.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”