PRO TRINKET: can't write fuse bytes

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sowienator

PRO TRINKET: can't write fuse bytes

Post by sowienator »

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with changing the fuse bytes of my Pro Trinket using avrdude: I can't manage to rewrite them.

I am using the mini-USB port to power it and to communicate with it, so I use the USBtiny programmer.

When I enter the command avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -P COM3 -v to discover the characteristic of the ATMega 328P, it works fine (see screemshot below).

When I try to write the low fuse byte with the command avrdude -cusbtiny -p m328p -P COM3 -U lfuse:w:0x22:m , I am asked : Would you like to be changed back? [y/n]. Then I enter y, and the nothing happen: the red LED of the Pro Trinket stays on, and my avrdude terminal is stucked. I have to enter CTRL + C to stop the command. And then I get an error message (see screenshot below):

When I try to write 0xff on the lfuse (which is its default value), everything works fine:

I tried to write others values, but I got the same error as below (not when I wrote the default value 0xff).

I read the lock byte and it is set to 0x3f, so unprogrammed.

I tried to write on the high fuse and extended fuse, and I got the same error:
- when I write their default value, it works perfectly
- when I try with other values, it doesn't work and I got the same error as in the 2nd screenshot below

I can flash (using the Arduino IDE) the sketchs I want, and it works fine.

I have others Pro Trinket, so I tried with them without more success.

If I have forgot to add some information feel free to ask.
Does anyone have a solution for my problem?

I am apologize in advance for the structure of this post, it is the first time for me that I have to ask a question in here.
Attachments
succeedWrite.PNG
succeedWrite.PNG (21.5 KiB) Viewed 186 times
responseWriteY.PNG
responseWriteY.PNG (26.45 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (51.26 KiB) Viewed 186 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”