newbie trinket problems--won't enter bootloader or install s

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bilagaana

newbie trinket problems--won't enter bootloader or install s

Post by bilagaana »

Just received the NeoPixel goggles kit and am having problems at the initial steps with the Arduino IDE. I am using the Trinket 5V supplied with the kit. My system is W10.

I believe I have followed the steps to install the drivers, IDE, update the .conf file, etc. [I am new to Arduino and Trinket, not new to computers or documentation--started programming my Apple II in machine code in the '80's--but that's no guarantee I didn't miss a step.] I have searched this forum and not been able to find a relevant post with the solution. I've pasted the complete error message--generated when attempting to upload the Blink test sketch--after the end of this post.

In the Arduino IDE the Adafruit Trinket 8MHz board appears under Tools and the Programmer is set to USBtinyISP.

Right at the outset I note that when plugging in the Trinket the green power LED is illuminated but when attempting to enter bootloader mode the red LED illuminates steadily for only 2-3 secs then switches off. There is no pulse. It turns off before the IDE finishes compiling. I have tried different ports and a hub with no change.

I'm wondering if this is a connection issue or if I have misinterpreted the installation documentation, especially as the error messages appear to reference the avrdude routine.

Thanks.

Error message follows:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Trinket 8MHz"

Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\tppbi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_547965\core\core_adafruit_avr_trinket3_0c812875ac70eb4a9b385d8fb077f54c.a
Sketch uses 680 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5310 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.
avrdude: error at C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf:332: programmer type must be written as "id_type"
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

bilagaana

Re: newbie trinket problems--won't enter bootloader or insta

Post by bilagaana »

Problem solved.

I installed the IDE and connected Trinket to my desktop and all functions normally.

For unknown reasons, it will not function on the laptop.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”