Trinket M0 does a soft reboot repeatedly

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bebo

Trinket M0 does a soft reboot repeatedly

Post by bebo »

Just plugged in a Trinket M0 for the first time, using the Mu editor, and I'm able to save to the board, but it is behaving strangely. The neopixel in the center of the board keeps flashing at random times. But when I opened up the serial monitor, I am getting

KeyboardInterrupt:
soft reboot

messages over and over. I've tried three different cables, but no change. It seems to work normally for the first 10-15 seconds I plug it in, then it keeps trying to reboot.
Is this a cable issue, or a board issue?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Trinket M0 does a soft reboot repeatedly

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That kind of behavior is usually a cable or connector issue.

Could you post a well-lit and in-focus closeup of the Trinket's component side please? 800x600 images usually work best.

bebo

Post by bebo »

It was actually just noisy USB power from my desktop. I tried it on my laptop and it works just fine, and powering it directly from a AC adapter works well also.
I guess I should try a powered USB hub if I want to run it from my desktop?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That would probably eliminate the problem, yes.

Look for a USB-2 hub. The USB-3 device recognition process starts with a burst of 480MHz data, which is 10x faster than the SAMD21's CPU clock. The chip doesn't know what to do with that, and sometimes it can crash the USB firmware. That isn't a big deal.. manually forcing a reset during the next upload usually gets everything going again.. but a USB-2 hub will make it a non-issue.

The hub will have its own USB host chip which talks to the Trinket M0 (or any other microcontrollers), and will block the high-speed data that comes from an upstream USB-3 host.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”