Trinket M0 cant establish USB connection

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
therebetigers

Trinket M0 cant establish USB connection

Post by therebetigers »

Hello,

i got a Trinket M0 from Amazon Germany to start tinkering with Circuit Python.

I was not able to establish a USB connection to a computer. I tried many different cables (no-name, also samsung and anker cables) from 10cm to 25cm. After plugging in the board the green "ON LED" will light up. From time to time after reconnecting the board also the "DOT STAR LED" will light up blue, but nothing happens.

Double Pressing the Reset Button wouldnt help also.

The device isnt listed in the device manager and wont show up in the explorer.

Computers used:
  • Lenovo Miix 320 over USB A and USB c (with a adapter)
    Windows 10 Home (64)

Dell Latitude E5470 USB 3 and USB 2, also tried it connecting to the Dell Docking Station
    Windows 10 Pro (64)

Also tried it with a Raspberry Pi 3
Did i do something wrong?

Is there a solution to "hard reset" the board or rewriting the bootloader without a arduino?

Sincerely,

Rene

Franklin97355

Re: Trinket M0 cant establish USB connection

Post by Franklin97355 »

Make sure the cable you are using can pass data. Can you connect another device like your phone and upload or download files or pictures?

therebetigers

Post by therebetigers »

Hello franklin,

yes this is possible. With both cables i can connect a Samsung Phone and access the internal memory.

*edit: Are there any preferred, or "proven" usb cable brands who i should use?

Govner

Post by Govner »

I am having the same issues. I purchased a few of the Trinket MOs back in July and developed my projects around them. That took some long hours getting the MO to connect until I figured out the little USB 'dance' that the little devices need before they cooperate. In a few months, I have gotten use to that. Then, after perfecting my projects and committed to using these MOs, I placed an order with a supplier for 22 of them. I assembled a sampling of them and have discovered something very disheartening. That is, when the new MO's are discovered by Windows, they are no longer discovered as "New device Adafruit Trinket MO" but instead are now "Trinket MO Circuitpython..etc". And, no matter what I do, the sampling number of these will not connect to Windows. NONE. Conversely, the ones I purchased in July work just fine. I've tried the same tricks I had to do with the original MOs like swapping out UF2 files, loading new drivers, etc. etc. Nothing works at this point. I will keep trying but now comes my question: If the hardware has not been changed (I'm assuming) then can I copy all the files from July's version of the product over to the August/September 2018 version of the product? If so, how would it be recommended that I accomplish that. And, is THAT even going to help OR, I worry, the bootloader has been changed since the original MOs were purchased. I really need a solution to save the $180+ in Trinkets and $1000+ in peripheral development commitments I have BANNED pledged to these great (JULY) MOs. I may be over-confident in their feasibility and consistency of performance expectations. Yes?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you read this tutorial yet?

Govner

Post by Govner »

franklin97355 wrote:Have you read this tutorial yet?

Yessir.. I sifted through that article a number of times asI tangled with the first MOs I bought. I'm sure that there have been changes since the file complement delivered with these has changed also.

Great news despite the earlier difficulty. I worked at this another hour or so and discovered a work-a-round unrelated to anything in the article. It's not my place to suggest to your readers of this forum that they should do what I had to do so I won't mention it here. It would go over like a lead balloon anyway. That said, I am very happy to have discovered a way to get these great little boards not to even hesitate a second when I connect them to Windows USB. They are immediately discovered -- no double-clicking -- no funny business at all. It's great and I only got a few gray hairs getting here. I plan on purchasing another 20 real soon. I see though that they are out of stock at the moment. I will set up a notification. Thanks.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Thanks for posting back. We are always open to constructive workarounds or other bodges that allow people to use our products and sometimes even add them to the instructions. Please let us know what you did to get your Trinket M0's working.

therebetigers

Post by therebetigers »

Update:

Yes, first thing after unpacking was reading this tutorial.

I tried to find the board over the serial connection as shown here.

In Windows 10 it wont show up in the Device Manager as COM Port, in Raspbian it wont appear in /dev/tty*. I tripple checked the USB cables, both will connect a smartphone with the computer. Both have the needed pins (VCC, D-, D+, ID, GND) and dont exceed the maximal lenght of USB.

Plugging in Trinket M0:

- ON LED will light green
- DotStar will flash blue, or stay blue (one time i got blue and red but nothing happens)
- RED LED
- 3 Volt DC from (3V) to (GND)
- 5 Volt DC from (USB) to (GND)

I'am absolutely clueless what i can try or what i did wrong. I ordered another Trinket M0 to dublicate the failture.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Wehrwolf, if you bought this from a distributor send them a link to this thread and they should replace it for you and then they can contact our supply team to get a replacement from us.

therebetigers

Post by therebetigers »

Hello Franklin,

thank you, i will do this.

I got a last question:

If i connect the Trinket to a Raspberry Pi over SPI, should BOSSA recognize the Trinket over the serial port?

therebetigers

Post by therebetigers »

Update:

I got my second Trinket M0 and a circuit playground express. Both working perfectly. So the first trinket maybe is broken.
Do you want me to ship the board in, so you can check it?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

No, we don't need it back.

InevitableCrafts

Post by InevitableCrafts »

Hi got the same issue here.

Ordered on Amazon DE got a USB Cable that can find and program a FeatherM0 without any issues.
I downloaded the IDE 1.8.7, all board libraries (Arduino SAMD, Adafruit SAMD) are up to date.

It can't find the board, the green LED lights permanently, double-press does nothing.

But the board is brand new, no solder or any signs of probably someone sold me a defect or used package.

I bought it from this seller, and got it two days ago:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MR2 ... UTF8&psc=1

Is there ANY way to fix this without rebuying?

Its probably an issue with the OSX USB driver? Iam on OSX 10.13.6

Please don't tell me i have to ship it back, its saturday and i waited all week to start developing :(
1/87 TRUCK with simulated mass
1/87 TRUCK with simulated mass
IMG_0774.jpg (702.88 KiB) Viewed 308 times

InevitableCrafts

Post by InevitableCrafts »

while plugging it in and out hoping for a miracle i found out that sometimes the neopixel flashes red and blue for a super short time, barely noticable.
Also i saw in another thread that someone reuploaded the bootloader, might this be an option?

Thanks in advance :)

edit: i added a photo of the backside, might help you with identifying the batch
IMG_0775.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg (348.08 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Also i saw in another thread that someone reuploaded the bootloader, might this be an option?
It's worth a try. Have you tested the USB cable to make sure it works with other devices?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”