GREAT SUCCESS FROM TRINKET M0

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Govner

GREAT SUCCESS FROM TRINKET M0

Post by Govner »

Breadboard_IMG_4145.jpg
Breadboard_IMG_4145.jpg (132.33 KiB) Viewed 620 times
FFT_v25_PCB.jpg
FFT_v25_PCB.jpg (155.52 KiB) Viewed 620 times
A highly successful conclusion to 4 months of developing a spectacular audio-responsive Neopixel project using the Trinket M0. I believe there is a website location for posting/sharing projects and if that's true, a link to its location would be useful.

I am posting a couple of photos of the basics of this project. The PCB shown follows the development of the hardware design and software design using standard breadboard techniques. I posted a photo of the breadboard stage about a month or two ago. Today, the PCB photo shows the final working version.

In a nutshell, the project requirements were to produce a audio-frequency detection (with 3 Hz resolution) and color matching unit, for driving 5050 LEDs (Neopixel 24-ring or strips) reactive in real-time. It's software options provide for simulation of all sorts of audio/color reactive displays. For example, in the "Close Encounters" mode, one can play the actual Hollywood production trailer for the famous "audio conversation exchange" on Devil's Mountain and the Neopixel ring mimics the light segments of the mother ship -- lighting specific colors and shades matching octaves and tones during the segment. This mode is but one of many. Bass guitar modes are cool as are specialized flower vase effects (pedestal mode).

I just couldn't be happier with the flexibility made possible using these Trinket MOs and C++ to yield the powerful math functions and effects needed to make this such a dynamic unit. It wasn't cheap. The R&D was quite expensive as I am sure all developers are well aware. I will post a YOUTUBE video soon but wanted to just say how impressed I am with the Trinket MOs reliability and ease of implementation. I did have some initial problems getting Windows to "relate" to these little SAMD21 boards that others write in about and one can imagine that with an extended project such as this, hundreds and hundreds of uploads and Serial Monitor operations being required, it was critically important to "smooth out" these obstacles. Once the communication with Windows was smooth sailing, I had the confidence to I purchase a sizeable number of these Trinkets for project extensions. So, thank you for this product. ( A price break at 25 and 50 would be nice, ahhmmmmm... :-)

Onward and upward. The YOUTUBE video will be forthcoming. The enclosures are hand-crafted Cherry wood with acrylic light windows and are quite pleasant as eye candy. STBY for more on that.
Attachments
Project_After.jpg
Project_After.jpg (133.09 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Last edited by Govner on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: GREAT SUCCESS FROM TRINKET M0

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

This is the best place to post build and final project photos!

Please do post a link to the video when you have one. We'd love to see the system in action.

Govner

Post by Govner »

Will do. Thanks.

Govner

Post by Govner »

RainbowPedestal_Final-assy_.jpg
RainbowPedestal_Final-assy_.jpg (561.39 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Scroll down. Quartz Crystal Singing Bowls interact with these in a coordinated way to enhance the efficacy of Chakra  and relaxation therapies. I build these in sets of 10 because my friends who perform Quartz Singing Relaxation usually have 10 bowls at different frequencies, requiring their choice of response and color displays.
Scroll down. Quartz Crystal Singing Bowls interact with these in a coordinated way to enhance the efficacy of Chakra and relaxation therapies. I build these in sets of 10 because my friends who perform Quartz Singing Relaxation usually have 10 bowls at different frequencies, requiring their choice of response and color displays.
IMG_4259_pedestal--cropped.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Here are pictures of the final results.

OBTW, the PCB for this project forms a very general purpose layout to begin just about any Trinket M0 project whether using Neopixels or other purposes. I believe that the "M0" has the same breakout pins as "Adafruit Trinket 3v" and may just be totally compatible if you don't need the power of the "M0". I'll look into it.

I don't use Python but I assume that it can provide most of the functionality required. If Python can perform FFT at the speeds required and has easy control of I2C bus, you should be okay.

" Arduino C++" is what I used exclusively for this project and it's quite simple, direct control of the interfaced chips: MCP23008, EEPROM (64kbits), external sensors, LEDs, the possibilities are endless. Just add water. Seriously, because there is sophisticated power conditioning (with OVP, there is no worry about surges that might wipe out the suite of components. This was important with 2 Trinket M0s sharing an I2C bus (other uProcessors are possible by adding shields), 8-port expansion, 3v-to-5v onboard level converter (including the 5V power supply), EEPROM, IR Receiver, Hall Effect Sensor, and more. I use this board as the foundation for ALL my Adruino projects requiring serious processing power and control of external devices of most all types.

The PCB is about 3" x 5". I plan on making it available so everyone can benefit from it. I'm not in the "profit business". At 70 years old now, I do this for mental exercise and, hopefully, just helping folks out.

Bill
Attachments
Elizabeth_Bowl_Color_Layout.jpg
Elizabeth_Bowl_Color_Layout.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 471 times

Govner

Post by Govner »

I'm really not Forum savvy at all. I see that photos are limited to 1 Mb. I was asked to post a video of the device. Should I create one on YouTube and provide the link? Or, upload it here somehow?

I need to get out more.

Gov

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Wow Govner, Nice Job on the project.... Kudos...

cant wait to see it in action!!!

I think you have to use YouTube to get the Video in the Adafruit Forums. Just place the link so every one can see it in action...

Great Job Again....

Cheers...

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

I was impressed by your project that after reading about it; I forgot to mention that you can go LIVE on Adafruits Show and Tell Wednesdays night. I never been in there so I cant tell you the details on how to get there, but if you see the Show you can talk to them to see how to get on the show and have everyone look at your project...

Cheers

Govner

Post by Govner »

Thanks for the kind words, BlueShark, not to mention the answer to my questions. Much appreciated.

I did tune in on the "Show and Tell" a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. The features the night I watched were very professional. My PC is not set up for that and "videography" definitely beyond my skill set. So, instead, I'll make a rudimentary YouTube video just so people can view some of my project's details. Perhaps I'll get that done and post it here by the end of the weekend.

The project was a lot of fun. Thanks again for the compliments. And, I am assuming that you probably have some things of interest posted here also. I'll search.

Regards

Govner

Post by Govner »

I am hoping that this will take you to a very short, valid YouTube video "look-see".

Each "Rainbow Pedestal" is currently frequency locked to the quartz singing bowl show (Note F, 4th octave) just for demonstrating the sensitivity of these units. Keep in mind that each "pedestal" will have its own singing bowl (unique note) and the color corresponds to "conventions" that will illuminate when that particular bowl is "singing". I know, it's confusing but here's a little eye-candy demo. Each pedestal contains 2 Trinket M0s as well as the 24-ring WS2812s. (Plus lots and lots of other stuff). I hope you enjoy seeing it.

Gov

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ZAsxhmuLA

JoshBacigalupi

Post by JoshBacigalupi »

Wow, great project Gov!

I, too, am using the M0 family to implement a FFT. My initial efforts used the Gemma. But, like you, I'm switching to the Trinket.

Which FFT library did you use? For now, I've had some success with the Adafruit_ZeroFFT library.

Thanks,
Josh

Govner

Post by Govner »

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the kind words.

I used the "arduinoFFT" library for my project because it provided options I needed.

In the interest of FFT processing speed, I used one uP for the FFT functions and another uP for the other mundane tasks - both communicating via I2C. The I2C bus was also used to communicate with the MCP20008 Port Expander and EEPROM. I found that high-precision FFT operation requirement to be the Achilles' heel of this project. In the end, however, the design met or exceeded all specs targeted.

Eleven of these units were built for my niece who is a licensed medical professional and very much into sound healing, Chakra singing bowls, and associated relaxation therapies. When she came to Florida to pick up these units, we made a video of her performance. Having the correct colors of NeoPixels responding to particular notes of her quartz singing bowls (Search YouTube) was quite interesting. I'll post the link to one of her videos when she makes them available. This will make for a nice conclusion to this project. Adafruit products and support documents are crucial, as you know.

Good luck with your particular project. If you wish to share a more detailed description of it and it's project goals, I would be happy to take a look to see if I have anything applicable to share from my particular case.

Good luck and thanks again for the compliments.

Regards,
Gov

JoshBacigalupi

Post by JoshBacigalupi »

Thanks, Gov. Yes, I came to a very similar conclusion: one uP dedicated to FFT, via the M0, and another for all other tasks, via the BluePill. For now, they communicate via analog pins, the M0 interrupts the BluePill when a particular frequency is detected. But, to scale multiple uP pairs, I'll need to similarly employ I2C, CAN, UART or similar. These protocols are not my area of expertise, so I may be back soon asking for advice 8)

I enjoyed your quick video and will look for your other ones. I don't have anything remotely to the level you have. But, when I do, I'll post.

Cheers,
Josh

Govner

Post by Govner »

Hi Josh,

Interesting. You are obviously working hard on that project. You are welcome to anything I have here but I am, by no means, an expert. Like many others, I just piece together things after doing my homework on the web. But, if some tidbit is of value to you, let me know.

As for the CANBUS (and other bus protocols), it's coincidental that I just connected up a couple of these recently. My o'scope is connected to the 2-wire bus to monitor the traffic. It's really quite fascinating now that I see how it works. Yet, I am not seeing an application for it here. Knowledge is power and if I ever need to hard-wire a long sensor loop, I will use CAN. I was thinking of building a "speed limit monitor" for the subdivision and CAN might come in handy there.

Good luck with your current project. These projects, I find, have a way of growing larger and larger and then morphing into an even more involved project. It's the 'learning' and the many "bingos!" that's the fun of it I suppose.

Please keep me posted.

Take care,
Gov

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”