Help: GemmaM0 doesn't boot when hooked upto my board

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
l8gravely

Help: GemmaM0 doesn't boot when hooked upto my board

Post by l8gravely »

Hi all,
I've been working on my addon board for the GemmaM0 and slowly making progress. I'm basically watching two USB devices for whether they are providing power or not, and then sending an IR signal to turn on/off one of the devices. My perfboard version is working quite well, but has a problem with back powering when the GemmaM0 isn't powered, but either of the other two devices are powered. See this other post for more details of my board: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=145842

So I've been trying to isolate the GemmaM0 inputs from the USB devices using 2n3904 NPN (I think!) transistors. This wasn't working properly at first since I think I made a big mistake on how I did my KiCAD layout of my board. So I did some cutting of traces and soldered in some jumpers.

Now, when I have my board hooked upto the GemmaM0 using standoffs, the GemmaM0 won't bootup at all. But once I disconnect it, it does boot. So my question is:

Does the GemmaM0 have a debug mode if one or more of the inputs/outputs are tied to ground or 3Vo pins that would stop if from booting? It looks like I've got a short somewhere which is impacting bootup. I'll keep poking at this myself, but I figured I'd throw this out there for ideas.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Help: GemmaM0 doesn't boot when hooked upto my board

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

No, the Gemma M0 doesn't have any pin-based restrictions on its boot process.

Checking the voltages on all the pins is a good idea though. An unexpected value could be a clue leading to the problem.

mbarbato512

Post by mbarbato512 »

PLEASE HELP!!!!

I purchased this kit from you guys...https://learn.adafruit.com/chirping-plu ... ython-code

Hello,

I’ve tried everything I can think of, and followed advice from countless blogs online. For whatever reason, I still am unable to get my Gemma to connect via USB to my MacBook Pro. When I plug in one of my FLORAs, they pop up under “ports” in Arduino application right away. But Gemma will not.

I went so far as to go to Best Buy and purchase a PC laptop to try programming my Gemma that way. Still, Gemma is unable to be recognized via USB. I have 3 new Gemmas and none will work, tried them all. And I was sure to download drivers for Gemma (and all other Adafruit products) before attempting to connect with the Windows 10 PC I purchased.

Are you able to help, please? Love your stuff….just stuck on this one product. Please feel free to contact me anytime. Thanks in advance!!

Respectfully,

Micah Barbato
512-777-9573

I've also uploaded a pic of circuit, in case that matters. But even the brand new Gemmas I have didn't work when I pulled them straight out of original packaging.

adafruit_support_mike

To clarify, are you using the Gemma:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1222

or the Gemma M0:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3501

They use different microcontrollers, and the older Gemma doesn't show up as a USB device.

billsklar

Post by billsklar »

My Gemma M0 won't boot on my Macbook Pro either. I bought it about 2 weeks ago and when I plugged it in, I get the green power light but nothing mounts on my Mac. Very frustrating. Any other ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

@billsklar: Please start a new thread for your issue. Trying to debug more than one set of hardware in a thread is just asking for confusion.

mbarbato512

Post by mbarbato512 »

I'm using the GEMMA that came with the Owl Kit I purchased from Adafruit.com. It's not a Gemma MO. I just made sure. What do I need to do to get the Gemma v2 I have working?

adafruit_support_mike

Okay..

The older Gemma doesn't show up as a USB device. It doesn't have any real USB hardware, only a microcontroller that emulates a low-speed USB connection long enough to upload firmware. You have to force the bootloader to launch and make that connection by pressing the reset button when the Arduino IDE is ready to upload code.

There are more details in the tutorial linked from the product page:

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... troduction

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”