Where are the White Papers on the Adafruit Libraries?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Where are the White Papers on the Adafruit Libraries?

by Blueshark on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm

I would like to learn more bout the Adafruit Libraries; what are their parameters, how to call them.... etc...

for example what are all the libraries for the Neopixel Object/class or the Arduino Phone 2G Object/classes....

Thanks

Blueshark

Re: Where are the White Papers on the Adafruit Libraries?

by franklin97355 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 pm

The libraries are available on GitHub and the only documentation is the examples and the .h and .cpp file themselves. If you have a specific question perhaps we can answer that.

franklin97355

by kcl1s on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:39 pm

The more you dig into Arduino the more you develop a love / hate relationship with open source. You just have to love that all these coding resources are available for free. Sure Adafruit develops these libraries to support their boards but just look around and see how many other commercial products use their libraries. They seem OK with that and use other open source libraries for their products when they are available. The Radiohead library comes to mind here. The trade off is the documentation is not always laid out for us in a manner we would like. As Franklin says the Examples included with the library expose a lot of the functions and parameters the library uses but the best way is to learn to read and understand the library files themselves. This page at the arduino.cc site https://playground.arduino.cc/code/library is a good place to start. I came to a point in my Arduino learning where like you I wanted more info on the libraries I was using and asking why don't they just document it better. Then I realized that it was great that someone took the time to create them and instead of being upset about the lack of docs I should just expand my knowledge to understand them. The library files tell you all you need to know.

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 am

There are also a couple of pragmatic points:

First, we actively encourage people to read and modify our code. Having people people #include headers blindly without ever reading them kinda defeats the purpose of releasing the code as Open Source. Having people request new features without ever reading the code falls under the heading of Missing The Point.

Second, anyone who's maintained software for any length of time knows how easy it is for the documentation to fall out of sync with the source. Open Source exacerbates that because you can find every previous version cached and referenced somewhere online.. the internet may never forget, but that doesn't make it good at version control. Factually incorrect documentation wastes more time than no documentation at all, and no matter how you try to arrange things, the only document that's always in sync with the executable is the source itself.

Our programmers work to write code that's well enough organized and self-documenting to be read and understood. Most libraries are only a couple hundred lines long, including whitespace, so they don't present much of a challenge.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.